Vista Cisco VPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Cisco VPN

Ok - here comes a strange one for you. This is mainly academic, as we have a workaround, but i'd still ike to know a solution.

One of our partners came into the company recently, and uses his own laptop, fair enough. It has vista. Fair enough. Our support for that only extends so far (about this far | |) but we're still trying to help him out where possible.

We use cisco vpn to connect into the environment - a large number of our consultants are remote form the office, but need to upload timesheets and do other stuff regularly.

We have clients who use cisco vpn systems as well. all the rest of our consultants use XP cause that's all I agree to support so far.

So Mr Partner cannot connect to our VPN. It just times out. He can connect to every other Cisco client without a problem. It just fails to connect to ours.
    NOt authentication failure or anything, it just times out.. it's like it's never even hitting the endpoint.

We've ensured it's the correct ip address and settings and all that stuff..
    any thoughts ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: Vista Cisco VPN

Which Cisco Client are you using?

Vista 32bit or 64bit?

Does the router show anything on the log? Does it show authenticating?

Hobie

Comment

we don't seem to have authentication logs enabled in the router, but it's not even getting that far, it only gets to 'establishing connection' and 'remote host not responding'

Not sure which client it is.. but that's definitely something we should look at.. Although he's using one he already had, and it doesn't necessarily answer the question as to why it works for clients A, B and C, but not for our office.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Do you mean it is not getting to the vpn router?

I would turn on the logging and find out where the problem really is. Can you ping the IP?

Make sure it is not a simple error first (host name redirecting via hosts file, wrong IP, wrong Group, etc, etc)

Once the logging is enabled you can determine the real issue by following the logs.

Another possible issue is the local firewall software, what AntiVirus is he running? I have had to create rules for kaspersky to allow my users to establish the tunnel (The logging will help with this).

Hobie

Comment

could be his firewall actually.. his laptop doesn't use our SOE.. so I forget what he's running.
          The reason I've dismissed that before now is that I know our vpn tunnel is configured in the same way as one of our clients' so it should work just hte same.

We're using an IP address for the vpn profile to eliminate the possiblity of it being a name res. issue.

I'll get the other engineer to work out how to debug the vpn logs and see if we can test it..

Comment

Working...
          X