Unable to Make changes in Parental Controls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to Make changes in Parental Controls

I am trying to add websites that are blocked using Parental controls to a limited users acct. I would prefer my 12 year old not get to myspace...
    I can add the website to exclude, but when I try to save, I get the message(can't remember exactly & I am not at that home machine.) "Cannot make these changes, please see your administrator."
    I found some info yesterday where I did 'run as' the cmd window and added the switch to make the admin active. I logged back in using the administrator user name, and still got the error message.
    Trying this both with the Admin login and my login(which I thought was full admin), I don't recall getting any messages for the UAC. I may have turned that off. Could this be the reason, that the UAC is turned off?
    Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Thx,
    Neilt009

Re: Unable to Make changes in Parental Controls

What struck me as odd at first was that if you're running as an administrator account, the only time that you should be asked for your credentials is when you first try to open the control panel. At that point, clicking the UAC "continue" button then elevates that process to have admin permissions and you're good to go. If you don't get that box and yet the parental controls panel opens anyway, then you're an admin and you just have UAC turned off.

Originally posted by Neilt009 View Post
    I can add the website to exclude, but when I try to save, I get the message(can't remember exactly & I am not at that home machine.) "Cannot make these changes, please see your administrator."
    Aha! If it says something like "please contact your administrator" then it's not a permissions issue, but something funkier. To track this down, we're going to need exact wording of the error message. Screenshots would be even better.

I found some info yesterday where I did 'run as' the cmd window and added the switch to make the admin active. I logged back in using the administrator user name, and still got the error message.
    That command that you ran, was it "net user administrator /active:yes"? This seems to confirm even more that it's not an issue with your account permissions but something deeper. There may be something in the event log that could help as well.

Trying this both with the Admin login and my login(which I thought was full admin),
    Most likely you really are an admin. The local "administrator" account that you activated simply has UAC turned off and everything launches as admin by default. You can get the same behavior from any other account that is a member of the administrators group by editing the UAC settings. To make sure that you are in the admins gorup you could check your group membership by looking at your account's group membership in Computer Management or go to a command prompt and run "whoami /groups".

I don't recall getting any messages for the UAC. I may have turned that off. Could this be the reason, that the UAC is turned off?
    If when you tried to launch the parental controls control panel you didn't get a "windows needs your permission to continue: Continue or Cancel" then you probably have UAC turned off. The simple way to check is to go to the user accounts control panel and click "turn user account control on or off". From there you can see if it's on or not.

Nonetheless, the error you are getting is most likely unrelated to administrator privileges. The funk is deeper than that.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
    X