Vista domain user same as local

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista domain user same as local

I need to join some Vista laptops to a Windows 2003 domain. These will be used also as stand alone PCs as well as when connected to the domain. I need the user therefore to be able to access the same local profile whether they are logged on to the domain or not. How can I do this please ? Any help gratefully recieved.

Re: Vista domain user same as local

I am using Vista on my laptop (which I have joined to our Domain), and I am able to use it as a Standalone laptop (at home) with the same username and password that I used to log onto the network with. If you have done this with XP or 2K, there has been no difference for me.

One thing that you DO need to make sure of is, Join the Laptop to Domain with Admin rights, reboot as required, log onto the laptop as the user that is going to use it as a standalone and then log off. Unplug the Network cable, and then the user is now able to log onto the laptop without the network.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Brent

Comment

Can you confirm that you want a locally logged on account to access the same "desktop" (ie profile) as a domain user account? Both will log on separately and without any care regarding security?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Mervyn Brown View Post
        I need to join some Vista laptops to a Windows 2003 domain. These will be used also as stand alone PCs as well as when connected to the domain. I need the user therefore to be able to access the same local profile whether they are logged on to the domain or not. How can I do this please ? Any help gratefully recieved.
        It should work so if the cached logon policy or registry key hasn't been changed.
        If I remember correctly the cache logon count is 10 by default. You just need to logon to the domain first.
        Have you actually tried to logon with your domain credentials and failed to do so?
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Agreed with the post above. If you log in to the laptop usind AD credentials then log off, those credentials will be cached and local profile created. Once you disconnect that laptop from the network you can then log in again using the AD credentials and the user should log in just fine. Something to keep in mind if you have re-directed folders i.e. Desktop, Application Data and the sort. You will have to enable offline files sync and make at least the desktop and appdata folders available if you don't want the user to click through a SLEW of errors when logging in with cached creds and when launching applications.

Ice

Comment

Working...
          X