Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing A Computer Name

Hi all,

First time poster. Brief backstory - sister is in process of a divorce and her PC still has her married name when you right click>properties on any document and read location: user>married name>location

This is a little trivial but as you can imagine, to her its just one more unwanted reminder, anyway I digress.

I know how to, and have changed the name of the computer but I've saved a few new documents as tests and the it still reads user>married name etc.

The username for her log in is not the married name as I have changed that too, but I'm stumped as to what todo next as nothing seems to resolve the above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Changing A Computer Name

Documents usualy take this info from internal preferences or options, not from the computer name.
    What documents are you talking about? Which software created them?
    Last edited by sorinso; 26th March 2009, 10:37.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

This may help:
      http://www.petri.com/change_register...y_vista_xp.htm
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Assuming Office 2003.

Click image for larger version

Name:	name-properties1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	463984 Click image for larger version

Name:	name-properties2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	463985

Change the name in the highlighted area.

If this is not what you are wanting then we need more information about your friends computer and software.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos_Jester View Post
          Hi all,

First time poster. Brief backstory - sister is in process of a divorce and her PC still has her married name when you right click>properties on any document and read location: user>married name>location

This is a little trivial but as you can imagine, to her its just one more unwanted reminder, anyway I digress.

I know how to, and have changed the name of the computer but I've saved a few new documents as tests and the it still reads user>married name etc.

The username for her log in is not the married name as I have changed that too, but I'm stumped as to what todo next as nothing seems to resolve the above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          At your risk but you could search the registry for the unwanted name by using 'Find'. An entry will appear specific to Office etc. and you can rename that entry.

I have done this before and has been ok bit as I say, at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X