Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big problem with encrypted folder

Hi there,

Is there any way for me to decrypt a folder without being the one that did the encryption??
    I have already tried to take ownership but still no success.

Re: Big problem with encrypted folder

How was the folder encypted???

Why do you want to do this???

Comment

When my friend backup his important files to his Western Digital Passport drive before formating his laptop one of the folders became encrypted for no reason. Before the format he had this wired version of Vista called Lite Vista so i told him to get rid of this edtion and install a normal one...

Comment

Well if he doesn't have the encryption key that the fodler was encrypted with there's not much hope unfortunately.

What is the error message he gets when he tries to access the folder???

Comment

I get the impression it isn't a domain computer but should it be so, the Domain administrator can probably decrypt but first will need to take ownership.

This probably isn't an option for you.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            Well if he doesn't have the encryption key that the fodler was encrypted with there's not much hope unfortunately.

What is the error message he gets when he tries to access the folder???
            Accsess Denied

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            I get the impression it isn't a domain computer but should it be so, the Domain administrator can probably decrypt but first will need to take ownership.

This probably isn't an option for you.
            Nope. This a workgroup laptop

Comment

Don't think there is much you can do then.

Did the user create a password???

What are the security settings on the folder???

Comment

So has the original install of the OS been wiped out, also wiping out the user account that encrypted the file?

Comment

I gave "Everyrone" Full Control and also created the same user account that created the folder and added him to the Administrators group and gave him full control and ownership on the folder.
                  Someone told me that maybe there is some tools in ERD Commander that can help. Do you know anything about that?

Comment

To decrypt a folder you need to be the user that owns and encrypted the files in the first place and you need the certificate that was used by the user. Playing around with permissions or accessing it via ERD will NOT get around encryption (it would be pointless encrypting files if they were easy to get to). I would say those files are now inaccessible... Sorry.

Comment

Some forensic software (e.g. encase) claims to be able to decrypt files (http://www.alternative-design.fr/tra...efs_module.pdf) but it appears to be quite limited in scope and relies on having the key available
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                      X