No announcement yet.

"run as administrator" for everything??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "run as administrator" for everything??

Hi,

I've just installed Vista on my own laptop.

Although I configured my user (local user) as a member of 'administrator' group, I have no such permissions, so I have to run many programs by 'right click' -> run as administrator.
    How to set myself as a real administrator?

Thanks

Re: "run as administrator" for everything??

Turn off User Access Control. It's the only way you can get rid of that prompt. This isn't recommended though.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

What exactly do you mean by
      I have no such permissions
      ??
      Vista is not XP (or any previous MS operating system). Even an Administrator isn't allowed to do anything he wants... This is the way viruses and malware spread, because everyone works as an Administrator ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by Tgefen View Post
        Hi,

I've just installed Vista on my own laptop.

Although I configured my user (local user) as a member of 'administrator' group, I have no such permissions, so I have to run many programs by 'right click' -> run as administrator.
        How to set myself as a real administrator?

Thanks
        In Vista, if you do something Admin-ish, it checks to see if the USER really wants to do it. If you were not logged on as an administrator, you would not get these prompts, you would get told you could not do it. If you were not logged on as an administrator, you would have to enter a user name and password to "run as administrator".

It's a sensible precaution to prevent malicious programs making configuration changes without human authority.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

You can enable the 'administrator' account that is disabled by default. That won't be prompted with the AUC. As everyone have mentioned, it is best to logon as a user with basic User Rights and then use 'Run AS', which AUC automatically provides in Vista. Vista's AUC allows all tasks to be run as a user with no admin rights and then the AUC will allow the input of admin credentials. 'Run as' doesn't work for all tasks such as Printers.

Comment

It's UAC = User Access Control.
            By default, Administrator doesn't get the pop-up dialog box. Any other member of the Administrators group will get only a consent dialog box (Continue/Cancel). All other users that are not part of the Administrators will get a box to enter administrative credentials. This behavior can be changed by using the Local Group Policy Settings (not in Home editions).
            I find both disabling UAC and working with the built-in Administrator highly dangerous. UAC is there for your security, tampering with it will make it useless... I know, it's anoying, but also is installing the computer from scratch after a serious infection...
            I work with Vista for a year now, and I got accustomed to it... I know UAC will kick in, and it's like isn't there... It was the only thing that saved my butt few weeks ago, when someone got an infected USB stick... After installing itself on 4 XP computers, I connected it to my computer,only to see the UAC shouting... Of course I did not approved the action and my computer was the only one left clean.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

So if I want to modify the parental controls in my Vista home basic setup, I have to use the Run as? Familair with it from XP, but am a noob for vista.
              I "thought" my profile was admin, but vista tells me I can't do a change.
              What is the easiest way to make my profile a "true" administrator?
              Thx..

Comment

I think it would be best to start a new topic concerning your parental control issue. Please include the steps that you are taking and the text of the error messages. To my knowledge, the parental control app shouldn't be whining at you if you opened it while using an admin account and clicked "continue" when it popped up the UAC warning. I'll have more information for you when you create a new thread...
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
                X