Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vista 'Restore Files' fails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vista 'Restore Files' fails

    I am using Vista Home Premium 64 Sp 1 on HP s3500f.

    I used DVD-RW to backup using Backup and Restore Center.

    When I wanted to restore a couple of files, I could only get so far.

    Here's what's happening...

    1 - I used "Advanced Restore"; ... "Files from an Older Backup"

    2 - "Show backups older than 30 days"

    3 - I then selected backup on Disk 1 from 12/12/08. Added files I want to restore 'in the original location' by 'Search'ing for them - thus proving they are there.

    4. - Then "Start Restore." But Restore Progress halts with error box (no error code).

    "The disk in the drive is not the requested disk.
    "Please insert the disk with the following label ... Disk 5"

    Of course Disk 1 is where I found the files and from whence I listed them to be restored. Substituting Disk 5 gives the same message.

    I am sure it is something dumb I am doing, but I am stumped.

  • #2
    Re: Vista 'Restore Files' fails

    Did your backup run across more than 1 disk???

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Vista 'Restore Files' fails

      It does imply that maybe the disks are wrong, maybe they are mislabelled? What does it show the name as for Disk 5 in My Computer?
      cheers
      Andy

      Please read this before you post:


      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Vista 'Restore Files' fails

        Those are possibilities. I did notice Disk 3 seemed to be empty, other than the obligatory info at the beginning.
        All Disks similiarly named, except of course the number changes.
        any other thoughts pls advise. I am running out of patience, I would think Redmond would know how their program works.



        Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
        It does imply that maybe the disks are wrong, maybe they are mislabelled? What does it show the name as for Disk 5 in My Computer?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Vista 'Restore Files' fails

          yes disks 1-5. I will settle now for a way to unzip that shows the files. Extract of the 98 zips only shows folder names
          thanks again

          Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Did your backup run across more than 1 disk???

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Vista 'Restore Files' fails

            Originally posted by kbgman View Post
            yes disks 1-5. I will settle now for a way to unzip that shows the files. Extract of the 98 zips only shows folder names
            thanks again
            You will probably find that Redmond has checked this and it does work.

            You will probably need to catalog the disks or insert them in the order it asks to complete the restore.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Vista 'Restore Files' fails

              thanks
              but how do i "catalog" the disks? inserting them always brings the message "not the requested disk" no matter which disk i insert
              thanks again to faraway Australia


              Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              You will probably find that Redmond has checked this and it does work.

              You will probably need to catalog the disks or insert them in the order it asks to complete the restore.

              Comment

              Working...
              X