User rights on Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User rights on Vista

Hi, I have a windows domain, Win2k3 server and Vista Business desktops.

Some users can install updates such as FileZilla and others no problems, but some have to have an adminitrator ok the update. This is not related to windows updates, just software that is installed on their machines.

Where do I need to start to allow users to install these updates without any intervention?
    Last edited by Mudd; 23rd February 2009, 22:00.

Re: User rights on Vista

Not heard of FileZilla but a common way to give users appropriate rights to software without granting them adminstrator rights is to grant the relevant Group or user, modify permissions on the Program folder itself. Not the Program folder itself but the program folder for FileZilla. This will hopefully allow updates to then function.

Comment

Thanks for that Virtual, but is there a way to have that same thing happen on a domain level so that it affects everyone and gives them rights to update any and all programs? Like maybe something in the GPO to allow them this?

Comment

I have used a CACLS script in the past and applied the permissions as a Computer startup script in a GPO. Don't use the switch to remove existing permissions, just use it to add the required ones and inherit down. Also, personally, I would just allow it on specific programs rather than all of them.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb490872.aspx

Comment

Man that's beyond my understanding, but thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X