Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS server settings

Hello all,
    I am looking for help As i am over my head, I work for a small office and I am the
    IT goto guy in the office, The problem is i am no expert at this but do have working understand of windows. Ok here is the problem.
    The office has fios and the network is set like this.
    From the ONT"fios box" it goes to a router that dishes out the ip's then two
    2 netgear 24port switches a wireless access point, 4 printers and a file server
    and appx 30 workstations a mix of xp pro and vista boxes.
    The file server a windows 2008 server used to hand out the IP's but another
    outfit came in and changed it and now the router does this.
    Here is the problem inorder for the workstations to access the net each box must have the DNS info inputed to the tcp/ip 4 properties filled in. This is not a huge
    problem, but a little pain. The big pain is the same must be done for the wireless
    side, And this IS a pain. Now the people who bring their laptops to the office have
    to make the changes so that they can use them at work and have to remove to take them home and use them or at hot spots. How do I fix this and where?
    Please take it easy on me as I said Im no expert.
    Thank you all for reading and helping.
    Jake

Re: DNS server settings

Does the router not give out the DNS server settings along with the client ip address? If not, I would put DHCP back on the Windows Server 2008 box and set up a scope for your LAN that hands out the client ip address, subnet mask, DNS servers, and default gateway.

Comment

See thats part of the problem this is over my head, and this server is flaky as can be. I would assume that the router does not as I said before for any computer
      to access the net I must input the pri and sec DNS in order for them to work.
      Jake

Comment

Personally, I would carry out what Joe Qwerty reommends. It was working before and you know this issue has caused it.

If you are concerned about the server, I hope it's not your data one and if I had a dodgy server, I would be looking at why it is 'flaky'.

Is there a reason why you can't put DHCP on one of the other servers?

You could get the "outfit" back in to check their settings. They have made a change and have not tested properly. I would never leave a client in your position. Hopefully you will find them accommodating.
        Last edited by Virtual; 16th February 2009, 19:24.

Comment

What kind of router is it?

On a side-note: Can you not have a stern talking-to with this new IT provider and have them make sure their solutions work before they leave the building? Have them come back and fix it and tell them that they can't reasonably expect to be paid for that visit since it's only for them to fix a problem they caused. However, before you say anything that might burn a bridge... is there any device in the building that you don't know the passwords for? Like, for instance, that router? Printers? Switches? Servers? Etc. and etc.? Make them hand over the passwords if at all possible. Then start torching bridges.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

thanks again for all that have replied!
            the router is a trendnet TW100-S4W1CA .
            Not my choice of routers but what was used. I understand that it would seem simple to have them back out to really "fix" the problem however the office manager does not want them back out for a few reasons, One they what I think overchaged us and in the past really have. Second when they were ready to leave they walked the manager thru it and everything did work.
            Now as far as what I think it may work but I have a decent server box
            dual core xeon intel S3000ah 4 gb running server2008 that is doing nothing more than acting like a simple file server that holds a gig of files for 20 users.
            Part of the reason that I just want to be able to have the DNS issue fixed is
            I do not know how to setup the server to do DNS, Yes I can read how to do it but if it breaks well Im sure most of you know what its like when 20 odd people are standing over you going is it fixed yet? It does work now just not right and its a pain for the wireless users! So as said from the get go I just want to get the wireless to work as it should. BTW the AP is a linksys wap54g
            Thank you.
            Jake

Comment

Originally posted by jtrouter View Post
              Second when they were ready to leave they walked the manager thru it and everything did work.
              Did someone get a bit adventurous and start messing with the settings? Moving on...

Part of the reason that I just want to be able to have the DNS issue fixed isI do not know how to setup the server to do DNS, Yes I can read how to do it but if it breaks well Im sure most of you know what its like when 20 odd people are standing over you going is it fixed yet?
              You wouldn't need to mess with DNS on the server at all. DHCP was the issue... or maybe you got your acronyms mixed up? It happens to me all the time.

It does work now just not right and its a pain for the wireless users! So as[I] said from the get go I just want to get the wireless to work as it should.
              Since the problem is that DHCP is not handing out the proper DNS settings, we need to fix the DHCP server (which now happens to be the TrendNet router). So the solution won't just be for the wireless users, but necessarily for all users. What you need to do is get into the TrendNet router via it's web configuration page. Whatever your network's default gateway is will probably be the TrendNet. If you're not sure what the default gateway IP is, just run ipconfig from a command line and it will tell you. Take the IP address that is given and put it in a web browser. From there you'll need to access it via whatever username and password it's using. Hopefully it's the default (probably 'admin' for both username and password).

From there you'll need to peruse the manual to figure out how to edit the DHCP settings. It won't be too hard. Here's the TrendNet page to choose exactly what version of TW100 you have. From there you'll be able to see manuals that should step you through the process, although I'm sure you could figure it out on your own. Just put in the proper DNS server IP address into the DHCP lease options.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Well the DNS is what I have to input for any computer to work on the network.
                The way I understand it is the router should pass along the DNS if the workstations havve automatic checked on both in the tcp/ip settings, So
                if its set that way nothing works, I have to manually put in just the pri and sec
                dns, I have the tcp/ip set to auto.
                I never mentioned dhcp, but I will look into the trendnet and see if anything
                mentions the DNS. I think I might have said that I did not want to try yo put the DNS back on the server because I belive that to over my head.
                Thanks JAke

Comment

The way I understand it is the router should pass along the DNS if the workstations havve automatic checked on both in the tcp/ip settings,
                  You are correct in that understanding. If DHCP is set up properly, it will give all IP clients a default gateway, an IP address and DNS settings. DHCP can also be used to pass along many more settings as well.

So if its set that way nothing works, I have to manually put in just the pri and sec dns, I have the tcp/ip set to auto.
                  • What do you put in for DNS servers? You ISP's servers? What should really be happening is that your router should be set to use your ISP's DNS servers and then all of your PCs should be using your router for DNS. One of the advantages of using DHCP/DNS on the Windows server is that it will have a more reliable way of updating the DNS records for all of your DHCP PCs, but I can understand you not wanting to go down that road.
                  • Do your PCs get a DNS server address that is wrong or do they not get a DNS server address at all? If its the wrong IP address that they are receiving, what is that IP address?

Let us know how things go if you edit the router's configuration.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

I have to put in the DNS of the ISP.
                    I am going to go have a look for a place to set it up in the router. Im looking for dhcp lease options?
                    Ok off i go!
                    Thanks Again!

Comment

Hello all,
                      <snip>
                      The file server a windows 2008 server used to hand out the IP's but another
                      outfit came in and changed it and now the router does this.
                      Good luck. Just for your info, DHCP is what gives out IP addresses to clients. I have quoted a comment you made in your first post that indicated you were referring to DHCP without knowing it.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                      X