3rd party remote software for Vista?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd party remote software for Vista?

Long story short, our customer support staff that helps out our clients at home needs a way to remote into their Vista based computers. Previously they were testing out GoToAssist's latest beta, but this beta has just ended. Looks like the cost to purchase the software may not be approved, so IT was tasked at looking at alternate solutions.

I messed around with UltraVnc SC (Single Click), however it runs into major issues with UAC (it disconnects and won't reconnect, or blocks UAC and customer needs to reboot). I've been messing around with alternate versions of this from their forum, but so far no luck. This software also has the side affect of letting the customers bug our support staff, as all they have to do is to run the exe from our website, and it automatically attempts to connect to them. Apparently there's no way to accept / decline incoming connection attempts.

So, has anyone run into a similar issue? If so, what was your solution?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: 3rd party remote software for Vista?

Have a look at RealVNC. I've not used it on Vista, but it is supposed to be supported, and I was happy enough with how it ran on XP.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

So basically, you need to get into remote user's computers while those users are at home? Or are the support staff at home and the users in the office? I'm trying to figure out if messing with firewalls is out of the question (like, for instance allowing DameWare MRC to cross the firewall; easy if the only firewall is the corporate one, not so fun if it's user's home firewalls). You only want support staff to be able to initiate the remote session? If that's the case, I think CrossLoop might be of use. That is, CrossLoop the VNC variant, not the help service. The VNC variant is accessible from the CrossLoop web site; the download link in the upper right corner of the home page.

EDIT: There's some more technical tidbits hidden at the very bottom of the home page, such as the CrossLoop blog, Security Overview, detailed description, and common questions.
      Last edited by Nonapeptide; 11th February 2009, 17:21.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Our customer support staff (e.g. the employees who support the company's customers) need to remote into the home computers of our customers who run Vista. It's not a firewall issue, just a UAC issue.

Here's the process. Customers call in for help. Support staff has them run the exe that's located on our website. This initiates the remote session request to us, and now the support agent can use the customer's PC. Currently with UVNC, it doesn't ask the support staff if they want to accept the request, it just auto-accepts (which apparently is a design mechanism you can't get around).

I'll look into CrossLoop.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Have a look at RealVNC. I've not used it on Vista, but it is supposed to be supported, and I was happy enough with how it ran on XP.
          It is and works just as well, but the last time I checked the free edition was not supported on Vista, you had to buy one of the other versions. Not too expensive though as I recall.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

That Cross Loop looks good. It certainly appears to be more secure that some of the VNCs out there, so certainly will consider it myself. Their documentation suggests to me that the session is fully encrypted.

Comment

Don't want to deal with installing / uninstalling licenses on end user's PCs, so RealVNC is a no go. Don't want end users to be confused with who they're talking to / cost of support with CrossLoop, so that's a no go (although it's nice software).

Looks like we're going to push for GoToAssist. Does everything we want, everyone's happy with it, and it's a lot cheaper than the alternatives out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                Don't want end users to be confused
                You've never met Rob have you

Quite looking forward to rolling out Office 2007 in the sales department - the three Rs. Rob, Roger, and the Ribbon.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                  Don't want to deal with installing / uninstalling licenses on end user's PCs, so RealVNC is a no go. Don't want end users to be confused with who they're talking to / cost of support with CrossLoop, so that's a no go (although it's nice software).

Looks like we're going to push for GoToAssist. Does everything we want, everyone's happy with it, and it's a lot cheaper than the alternatives out there.
                  Unless CrossLoop has changed (or I totally misunderstood it in the first place) there's no cost for CrossLoop. There are two things that are meant when one says "CrossLoop", the actual support web site and then the software itself (that's really just a custom rolled VNC). So, just use the free CrossLoop VNC client bit to have users start a remote session and they don't have to pay for anything. The website is not a part of the equation at that point. It's used just like that at one of my work sites.
                  Last edited by Nonapeptide; 14th February 2009, 01:24.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  -------------------------------
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                  Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Your right, there is no cost. I have downloaded it already. It was a file less than 3 MB. It gives me to tabs. One called Share and the other Access. The user would need to download the CrossLoop application itself and then use the share feature. They would need to give trhe IT support the Access Code that appears there. They click connect and the IT support has two minutes to use the access tab section to log on to thesession. The user can see their screen being controlled and can end it at any time.

The only issue I can see is that users may start to use it as a bit of a toy, so not sure whether Wired would find it suitable. Apparently, if you hold down the alt key when clicking connect, it uses port 80 as well, so shouldn't have issues with firewalls.

Comment

Does it need to be 3rd party software???

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...a01033.mspx#EN

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                        Unless CrossLoop has changed (or I totally misunderstood it in the first place) there's no cost for CrossLoop. There are two things that are meant when one says "CrossLoop", the actual support web site and then the software itself (that's really just a custom rolled VNC). So, just use the free CrossLoop VNC client bit to have users start a remote session and they don't have to pay for anything. The website is not a part of the equation at that point. It's used just like that at one of my work sites.
                        The client I downloaded had a small ad at the bottom that said click here for help, which brought me to their pay for helper stuff.

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                        The only issue I can see is that users may start to use it as a bit of a toy, so not sure whether Wired would find it suitable. Apparently, if you hold down the alt key when clicking connect, it uses port 80 as well, so shouldn't have issues with firewalls.
                        By toy, do you mean using it to connect to home and the like?

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                        Does it need to be 3rd party software???
                        Too hard for already confused customers, trust me

Comment

Have you looked at Teamviewer http://www.teamviewer.com we use this at work to connect to remote users desktops, then run an exe file, give us session id, and password and we can connect.

You only need to pay for the controlling software, and you can add your logo and colours to the part the user downloads

Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X