Bitstream Font Navigator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitstream Font Navigator

I have a computer running Vista Business SP1 and one with XP SP3 they both have Bitstream Font Navigator installed on them. My problem is that the program will only run if the user is an admin. I need the users on these machines not to have admin rights. How do I go about setting it up so Bitstream will run with out the user having admin rights? Any help here will be greatly appreciated! Both machines are connected to a network that is running Microsoft SBS 2003.

Re: Bitstream Font Navigator

Use runas or similar. Create a local administrator on the workstations, write an encrypted VBS which uses runas to execute the program as that administrator. Encrypting the VBS prevents users from discovering the credentials used.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Can you explain to me how to do this? I am kind of learning this job on the fly.
      Thanks,

Comment

Well, type runas /? at a command prompt to see the required syntax. Work out the syntax you need, then write a VBS to execute that syntax.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vbs+run+executable
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

No sure if this helps but it implies you need to re-install for each non-admin user?
          http://www.bitstream.com/fonts/suppo..._versions.html
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Bitstream
            Run the installation for Font Navigator while logged in with Administrator rights.
            Run the installation again for each additional login name.
            Eh? Never seen advice to do that before.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

I don't know if it's relevant...
              The OP talks about one user, w/o Admin rights... Nevertheless, it's very annoying ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X