Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSoP and WMI problems

Hi,

I have several Vista clients in SBS2003 domain and they all have one problem in common: WMI queries from server or other PCs to Vista clients do not work.

For example. I want to see Resultant Set of Policy on Vista clients. When I start RSoP wizard in GPMC at SBS2003 Server and after selecting client computer, I get the warning saying: failed to connect to <computer> ... Ensure that WMI service is enabled on target computer ... The RPC server is unavailable.

I'm also using a network inventory program that keeps track of HW and SW via WMI and because WMI is not working, my audits are not accurate.

Vista machines run Business edition, there are no special SW installed on it. Machines are joined to domain, I can access admin shares (C$, D$) with domain administrator account without problem. Windows Firewall is on, but there are exceptions configured via Group Policy. We're using McAfee VSE 8.5. WMI Service is started.

What are we doing wrong? Where's the problem?

Appreciate your answers, TNX!

Re: RSoP and WMI problems

Since you are saying the firewall is configured with the exeptions, Is your SBS server up to date?
    especially with this one: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Just to be on the safe side (to rule out FW), try to do the same while the FW is disabled. If you'll still get the same results, you will know there might be something else (like the server, as L4ndy said, or WMI permissions, for instance).
      Is the user that the WMI query runs under its credentials part of any administrative groups?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Hi!

It seems as though I was so focused on the big picture of WMI I forgot to check basics... Win Vista clients didn't have Windows Management Instrumentation checked in Windows firewall.

I "inherited" the System from another Admin, so I figured he set the correct rules for Windows Firewall via Group Policy - list of options in SBS 2003 is a little cryptic, since Server 2003 can't display Vista adm/admx. So I'm stuck with Extra registry settings.

Thank you both L4ndy and sorinso, I went and rechecked WinFirewall because of your suggestions.

So, next question: how can I set WMI exception on Vista clients via Group Policy? Thankyouverymuch!

Comment

Working...
        X