Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Experience Index Rating Fail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Windows Experience Index Rating Fail

    When I try and rate my Vista Business machine, always gives an error stating the Windows Assessment tool has stopped working and that WinSat has failed. Trying to do this so I can get the cool windows scroll when I hold down the Windows key and Tab key. I've been told I have to rate the computer first.

    I'm hating Vista right about now!

    Any ideas?

  • #2
    Re: Windows Experience Index Rating Fail

    Do you have a video adapter with at least 128mb of memory..?
    And hating Vista... hmmm isn't it simply lack of knowledge about the OS?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

    MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

    "Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Windows Experience Index Rating Fail

      Video card has 256mb memory and and although there is a lack of knowing this OS fully. It has more to do with all the lockdown features Microsoft is trying to implement into this OS. That's why Vista was crap when it first came out.

      I guess in time I'll come around, but for right now I'm hating it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Windows Experience Index Rating Fail

        Vista had some bugs which where fixed in SP1.
        Btw, I didn't meant it as offending you but more like why hating something which you might not fully understand yet

        Have you tried to install the latest video drivers?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

        MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

        "Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Windows Experience Index Rating Fail

          Originally posted by Mudd View Post
          Video card has 256mb memory and and although there is a lack of knowing this OS fully. It has more to do with all the lockdown features Microsoft is trying to implement into this OS. That's why Vista was crap when it first came out.

          I guess in time I'll come around, but for right now I'm hating it.
          It really isn't locked down that tight IF your prepared to looks for fixes.

          Probably your main gripe is UAC which can be turned off if you need to. Infact there is a tuorial on how to do this on the main site.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Windows Experience Index Rating Fail

            If you don't have at least the patience to explore and learn a new product (whatever it will be), than how can you expect that other people will have the patience to waste their spare time to assist you?
            You can't have it both...

            Now, to your question:
            1) what user are you using when trying to rate your system? Is it Administrator?
            2) do you have UAC enabled? Does it kicks in? BTW, I strongly recommend not to disable it! It is one of the most important features in Vista!!
            3) how are you trying to run the tool? From Control Panel -> System? Or from command line?
            4) have you checked the Event log? What does it say about the crash?
            5) I understand you want to rate the computer, so you'll get the Aero look. This was something you should have get announcement about its compatibility during the installation process. Have you noticed anything?
            Please check that your graphics card is compatible with Windows Vista Aero.

            Added: Two things I would do further:
            1) navigate to: %SystemDrive%\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore and delete all *.xml files, if there are any... It might be a corrupted XML file or lack of permissions (here it is important to know the user you're working with)
            2) using an elevated command prompt, run winsat formal. Come back with the outcome.

            Note: you can start an elevated command line by right clicking on Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt and choosing Run as Administrator option ...
            Last edited by sorinso; 22nd January 2009, 19:47. Reason: more info added ...

            Sorin Solomon


            In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Windows Experience Index Rating Fail

              Originally posted by Dumber View Post
              Vista had some bugs which where fixed in SP1.
              Btw, I didn't meant it as offending you but more like why hating something which you might not fully understand yet

              Have you tried to install the latest video drivers?
              Oh no offense at all Dumber, I am still learning the in's and out's of Vista. Just a little frustrated that's all. My company pretty much threw this in my lap in which I didn't have any say in the matter. If it were up to me I would have stayed with XP and see what Windows 7 looked liked since it was just released anyway you know?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Windows Experience Index Rating Fail

                Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                It really isn't locked down that tight IF your prepared to looks for fixes.

                Probably your main gripe is UAC which can be turned off if you need to. Infact there is a tuorial on how to do this on the main site.
                Yeah I know about this and have turned this off for most of my users. The thing is, I use to be able to log in with my domain account (I'm Admin) and make changes to the computer and it affect all other users. Now that doesn't seem to be the case now, now I have to log into the local admin account on the machine for that same effect to happen.

                Actually my main "gripe" is Vista itself. Too many problems from the get go. If you read the magazine I've read about Vista and all it's problems then you would probably have the same outlook about Vista too. The thing is, Microsuck made Win 7 to be faster responding than Vista, shouldn't they have thought of that with Vista? Why wouldn't anyone want a faster responding OS? It really baffles me with all the money they make and put out half-ass software for example; Win 98 First Ed, Win ME.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Windows Experience Index Rating Fail

                  Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  If you don't have at least the patience to explore and learn a new product (whatever it will be), than how can you expect that other people will have the patience to waste their spare time to assist you?
                  You can't have it both...

                  Now, to your question:
                  1) what user are you using when trying to rate your system? Is it Administrator?
                  2) do you have UAC enabled? Does it kicks in? BTW, I strongly recommend not to disable it! It is one of the most important features in Vista!!
                  3) how are you trying to run the tool? From Control Panel -> System? Or from command line?
                  4) have you checked the Event log? What does it say about the crash?
                  5) I understand you want to rate the computer, so you'll get the Aero look. This was something you should have get announcement about its compatibility during the installation process. Have you noticed anything?
                  Please check that your graphics card is compatible with Windows Vista Aero.

                  Added: Two things I would do further:
                  1) navigate to: %SystemDrive%\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore and delete all *.xml files, if there are any... It might be a corrupted XML file or lack of permissions (here it is important to know the user you're working with)
                  2) using an elevated command prompt, run winsat formal. Come back with the outcome.

                  Note: you can start an elevated command line by right clicking on Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt and choosing Run as Administrator option ...
                  haha your funny, isn't that what these forums were created for in the first place? To come and try to get help and give a little in return?

                  Sorry, but I figured some one here has ran into this problem and knew about a quick fix or solution. It it's too much trouble for you then why respond?

                  I've been very busy trying to install, configure, transfer, and setup 50+ PC's at the moment while at the same time troubleshooting users current issues. I thought I could save time by asking a question and some one know how to rectify it.

                  I didn't know I was walking on egg shells here. I'll try to tread more lightly.
                  Last edited by Mudd; 22nd January 2009, 23:37.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Windows Experience Index Rating Fail

                    Originally posted by Mudd View Post
                    isn't that what these forums were created for in the first place? To come and try to get help and give a little in return?
                    It will be difficult to assist you in this manner.
                    You asked a question, I asked for some details. I also suggested some actions. Please post the answers and the results.

                    Sorin Solomon


                    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X