This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC turns itself on after hibernating

As the title says, my pc power itself on when I shut it down using hibernation. If I shut down the system, it stays off, but with hibernation it turns back on in an unknown number of hours (I go to bed and it's on when I wake up).

The only thing I could find on Google that made any sense was having wake on lan enabled. However, why would it not wake up when shut down? I tried hibernating with the nics unplugged and it still turned on.

I was under the impression that hibernation copied the data in ram to the hard drive and totally shut off the PC. If the PC is totally shut off, how can it turn itself on? If it was a software setting that was told to turn the pc on at X time, wouldn't it turn it on if it was shutdown plainly as well?

PC specs:
    i7 920
    ASUS P6T Deluxe
    6GB OCZ Gold 1600Mhz
    ABS Tagan BZ 700W
    EVGA 8800GTS 512
    Vista Ultimate 64
    80GB Raptor x2 RAID0
    74GB Raptor

Re: PC turns itself on after hibernating

Check your event logs to see when the computer was turned on. See if it's one of two patterns: 1) A specific amount of time that it stays off before turning back on again (E.g. after being turned off for 6 hours) or 2) A specific time on the clock that it turns on (E.g. 4 AM). As for the WoL possibility, how many network cards do you have? Do you have any wireless adapters connected to the machine (or cellular cards)? I'd physically unplug them from the MoBo (or however they're attached) and try it again. One other thing, check the BIOS for any strange power options. I've seen some pretty fancy power options on some BIOSs that allowed for scheduled turn ons, etc.. Finally, just for giggles, could you start it in safe mode and then hibernate the computer and see if it does that? Hmmm... is hibernate even an option in Safe Mode? If not, maybe start turning off services, startup items, devices from device manager and etc.. Then hibernate it to see if it happens. Then you may be able to use a process of elimination to find the culprit. Keep us updated!
    Last edited by Nonapeptide; 17th January 2009, 22:32. Reason: grammar
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Is your computer part of any domain? Even if it's at home...
      There is a setting available in GPO that allows the computer to be turned on for updates to be installed. The default setting for updates is every night at 3:00AM, so it might explain why the computer is ON the next morning. If you have some stuck update (one that fails every time it tries to install), then the computer wakes up every night for another try.
      I don't have a Vista installation available at the moment that is not part of a domain, so cannot tell you where it is in a workgroup computer (if at all).
      Just another thing to think about, after you checked the Event log, as Nonapeptide suggested.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
        There is a setting available in GPO that allows the computer to be turned on for updates to be installed. The default setting for updates is every night at 3:00AM, so it might explain [...] I don't have a Vista installation available at the moment that is not part of a domain, so cannot tell you where it is in a workgroup computer
        Oooo, great call sorinso. I didn't know that Windows Update would automatically wake a computer from hibernation. On my Vista Ultimate SP1 x32 workgroup machine the GPO is in Local Computer Policy >> Computer Configuration >> Administrative Templates >> Windows Components >> Windows Update >> Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates.

The explanation text of the GPO is thus:
        Originally posted by Microsoft GPO Explanation
        Specifies whether the Windows Update will use the Windows Power Management features to automatically wake up the system from hibernation, if there are updates scheduled for installation.

Windows Update will only automatically wake up the system if Windows Update is configured to install updates automatically. If the system is in hibernation when the scheduled install time occurs and there are updates to be applied, then Windows Update will use the Windows Power management features to automatically wake the system up to install the updates.

Windows update will also wake the system up and install an update if an install deadline occurs.

The system will not wake unless there are updates to be installed. If the system is on battery power, when Windows Update wakes it up, it will not install updates and the system will automatically return to hibernation in 2 minutes.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Interesting. Although I normally have automatic updates off, this may be possible. What is the difference between hibernate and shutdown from a hardware perspective? Isn't off off?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do any more testing as my PC is mis-behaving. I'm waiting on a new PSU before I put it back together. I don't think the two are related though, as, again, this only happens on hibernate.

Comment

Hibernate is a "soft off" in that all of your data, running programs etc stays saved. It is different from stand-by in that the data is saved to disk and not kept in RAM. The machine is effectively off and using no power though.

Shut Down is actually "off" and when you start up again it's a brand new session.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I knew that much, but from that GPO explanation, it sounds like there's a difference beyond that. That's why I (perhaps poorly) tried to clarify with "hardware difference", like a trickle of power or something I wasn't aware of.

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              Hibernate is a "soft off" in that all of your data, running programs etc stays saved. It is different from stand-by in that the data is saved to disk and not kept in RAM. The machine is effectively off and using no power though.

Shut Down is actually "off" and when you start up again it's a brand new session.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                I knew that much, but from that GPO explanation, it sounds like there's a difference beyond that. That's why I (perhaps poorly) tried to clarify with "hardware difference", like a trickle of power or something I wasn't aware of.
                From my understanding, the only difference between sleep and hibernate is that sleep holds the current system's state in RAM with a trickle of power and hibernate writes the current system state to the hard drive and then powers off. However, as you have noted, this situation seems to prove that my (our) understanding is flawed since there obviously must be some hook that the hibernated system state leaves behind somewhere in order for it to be awoken at a later time. Anyone have any insight into this situation?
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

The "Hook" will likely be in NTLDR which will be told which type of boot to initiate. If the last time the power went off, the system was hibernated, then it will "resume" the system from hyberfil.sys which contains a dump of the system RAM, the CPU registers and CPU state, and the system cache. This puts you straight back to the screen you left when you hibernated MUCH quicker than if you'd shut down the OS first.

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                    The "Hook" will likely be in NTLDR which will be told which type of boot to initiate. If the last time the power went off, the system was hibernated, then it will "resume" the system from hyberfil.sys which contains a dump of the system RAM, the CPU registers and CPU state, and the system cache. This puts you straight back to the screen you left when you hibernated MUCH quicker than if you'd shut down the OS first.
                    True. However, the real puzzle (to me anyway and I think Kayden too) is how the computer can turn itself on and at a prescribed time. Where do you think that "hook" is?
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                      True. However, the real puzzle (to me anyway and I think Kayden too) is how the computer can turn itself on and at a prescribed time. Where do you think that "hook" is?
                      All I can think of is a setting in the BIOS... maybe it is set to turn on with a particular LAN signal? Maybe there are other settings in there? As Windows is not running at that point, the suspect HAS to be hardware based.

Tom
                      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Do you have a cat?

Comment

No, just a mouse
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                            Where do you think that "hook" is?
                            Scheduled tasks have also the power of turning computers on. Look in to a scheduled task's properties, on the Settings tab, you have a Wake the computer to run this task checkbox.
                            Few places to look into (together with WAUW mentioned earlier) ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                            -

Comment

[MOD EDIT LINK DELETED]
                              and also the steps below could be done.

in cmd window (or please write cmd in start menu) then in console screen, please use these commands

powercfg -lastwake

and

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

in black screen you see the source that leads to turn on automatically from hibernation...

then open device manager and then find those devices you see above right click then select properties in the properties window, select power management tabi then deselect that option of allowing the device to wake the pc... all the devices you must do the steps in the same way.

good workings,
                              Last edited by Ossian; 6th November 2015, 12:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X