Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting to secure wireless in vista

Hi all,
    I tried to connect couple Dell laptops to my verizon wireless router, (I just put a WEP shared key 128bit ascII). in some laptop, it works fine, pop up the window ask for shared key, but some of laptop pop up a window ask for user name and password..., but I didn't have any user name and password for this secure wireless connection, only shared key, the windows is in attachment, I tried laptop log in credential, not work...
    thanks in advance!
    jimmy
    Attached Files

Re: Connecting to secure wireless in vista

Is it definitely the same access point? The only case I know of where a wireless access point would ask for credentials is if it is setup for 802.1x authentication with a RADIUS server. If the server is set to PEAP authentication it'll need a username and password to authenticate.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

yes, it is the same wireless acess point.

Comment

Just to be sure, does the problem persist if you change the SSID of your AP? It's possible that there is another network in range with the same SSID.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I experienced the same problem recently. The router was a RangePlus-n Wireless Router (WRT110) and the laptop was a new HP. I received the same log-in as above. Tried various router settings but no luck. I then brought in my own Toshiba and found the log-in to be normal and as expected.

Side by side, the two laptops had different log-in screens. Fortunately, the network was on a farm , so I was able to disable the encryption. I did not find the cause of the problem and would like very much to know how to correct it.

Comment

I found Vista didn't like WEP. Try WPA/WPA2 and see how that goes, plus it is a poofteenth more secure than WEP.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              a poofteenth
              A buh?

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              I found Vista didn't like WEP
              Just tried it with a pair of routers... worked fine with one, and not the other. I didn't get a login dialog though.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggles77
                Poofteenth = A Tad
                Didn't say WEP didn't work on Vista, just said it didn't like it. Was very inconsistent (as you discovered) and made a good reason to the Ball and Chain why yet more money needed to be spent on the network.

Jimmy, if your WAP has WPA/WPA2 capabilities then I would strongly recommend you dump WEP and use WPA. Just remember to use a really stong Passphrase to make hacking harder. You Tube has some nice tutorials on how easy it is to hack wireless networks even WPA ones.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X