64bit v's 32bit operating systems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64bit v's 32bit operating systems

I have a 64bit version of Windows Vista, inc. Sp1. I am asking the forum what I would have to do in order to use and utilise 64bit software. What I mean is that; what does my desktop need (hardware) in order to run the 64bit operating system, as I would really very much like to run my machine with 64bit Vista and a lot of RAM (over and above 6/8gb RAM). Even though I have been finding it difficult to source certain parts for the machine. It is running a dual core Pentium processor 2.00Ghz x 2 and I cannot identify who made the motherboard as I was given all of the bits and pieces to put the machine toghether (and I am a novice builder) I bought and installed the hard drive, the optical drive, a big cooling fan and different cards and connections for drives and drivers etc...
    ....for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.

Re: 64bit v's 32bit operating systems

You will need a 64-bit compatible motherboard and CPU. Sounds like its time for an upgrade.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

... and be sure all other devices have 64-bit drivers...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

The motherboard can be identified by the numbers and letters screen printed on to it.

Be wary of using 64bit Vista. It can be a problem getting all the drivers for additional devices and getting non Microsoft aplications working on it can also bringtears to your eyes.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Vista x64 does have those issues, but it's nowhere near as problematic as XP x64 was. Definately a step in the right direction
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I had a few problems a long time ago with x64 drivers but generally there are more about nowadays. I've run vista 64 for months now without any issue (for what it is worth). Generally though I would say old or second hand hardware is likely to cause issues if you don't know what it is. As gforce says the motherboard and CPU are the key things.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
            X