No announcement yet.

Vista Share and winows XP

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Share and winows XP

i have at home Vista Ultimate and XP pro on the same network
    (after i disabled my AV FW , trend) i can ping from both , but when i try to reach a shared folder on the vista it will not reach , the other side its working

what else should i check ?

Re: Vista Share and winows XP

Define "it will not reach". Error messages?

Are both machines in the same workgroup? Does the same user account with the same password exist on both machines? Is that the account you're using? Are you prompted for credentials?

Lots more information needed.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Besides the info gforce asked you to post, go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center (in Vista, of course) and click the link Show me all the shared network folders on this computer. Do you see there the folder you shared? If not, you might have done it wrong.
      If you do, post a screenshot of the Network and Sharing Center (erase names and other data you don't want public).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Make sure you have File and Print Sharing enabled on both machines.
        Make sure the folder is shared.
        Set the security on the shared folder and files to allow everyone full access.
        Make sure the workgroup is the same on the XP and the Vista machines.
        Make sure that both firewalls allow file and print sharing. (its worth turning them both off to test them too)
        Create accounts on both machines that you can use to "connect as".

Also, have a look at this from Microsoft