Vista Memory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Memory

I am trying to upgrade from Vista Basic to Vista Ultimate as I really love some of the feaures of the Ultimate edition. I have 2gb of R.A.M. in my machine and am trying to find out if I would need an even bigger increase of memory in order to run the Vista Ultimate operating system on my PC, as I do really need the PC to perform as efficently with the Ultimate as with the Basic? Can anyone please shed some light on the different amounts of R.A.M. needed to run the specific systems.
    ....for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.

Re: Vista Memory

From the horse's mouth:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...uirements.aspx
    Recommended 1 Gb RAM for Vista Ultimate
    (Mind you, these were the same people who said Windows 95 would run on a 386 with 4Mb RAM )

I recommend Minimum 2 Gb for Vista (any version) and preferably 4
    But remember, it is not just the RAM, it is the processor and graphics card as well.
    Assuming this is the same PC as in your other threads, can you give us more information about the above?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Tom
      Mind you, these were the same people who said Windows 95 would run on a 386 with 4Mb RAM
      It did, just took 30 minutes to boot!!

Is the PC a 32bit or 64bit machine?
      Is your version of Vista a 32bit or 64bit version?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The graphics card will be the biggest limiting factor to be honest. I've got a PC that's a few years old with 1.25gb of RAM that runs Vista fine, although it only gets a 1.0 performance rating due to the graphics card which is the minimum spec for running Vista.

I ran Vista Business for a good while on another PC with 2gb and had no issues.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Vista with 2GB is a good foundation. It depends on the apps you want to run, far more than it depends on the edition of the OS. With memory being ridiculously cheap these days, I'd recommend beefing it up to 4GB.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Im running Vista Ultimate on my laptop with 2gb of RAM (128 to the graphics card) and it runs smoothly.
            If you are using a lot of apps at the same time or running games then you might want to look at upgrading to 4gb. But for normal use (if there is such a thing lol) then 2gb should be fine.

Comment

Hi Petra.legion000, Rick from the Windows Outreach Team here. I was just reading your question and had some answers for you. Basically it is recommended that you have at least 1gig of memory for all versions of Vista. However 2gigs is optimal for average performance and should be fine for Vista Ultimate. There is no real performance difference between Basic and Ultimate, the difference is mainly in features offered between the two versions. You can find pretty affordable Memory online and effectively double your RAM for less than $40. Or another option is to make use of the ReadyBoost capabilities built into Vista. ReadyBoost uses external storage such as a memory stick as additional Memory thus boosting your PCs performance. You can read about ReadyBoost at this link: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b87761033.mspx
              Please Keep in mind that if you are using Vista 32-bit you can only access a maximum of around 4GB of memory, but Vista 64-bit can access as much as 128GB allowing the Vista 64-bit to run much more efficiently. I hope I have answered your questions, if you have additional questions I am happy to help answer them as well.
              Rick, Windows Outreach Team.

Comment

Microsoft are sending me the operating system that I purchased and it is the Windows Vista Ultimate and I am running four PC's and all but one have Windows Vista installed (one is an upgrade on a Toshiba that was built to be upgraded if wanted). My machines are all 32bit and have Vista Basic, one with Home Premium. I have built a Desktop 32bit machine that is totally clean so it is this machine that I hope to install the Windows Vista Ultimate on to. (Though I was originally going to upgrade a Vista Basic machine) My clean machine has got 2gb of ram and I was hoping to run the Vista Ultimate without a problem although the drivers it requires are quite intensive Nvidia drivers and I am hoping not to suffer to much performance issues(hence the question) I also feel that as I do not play games with PC's and use them for research, writing and designing, that my performance, I am hoping will not be to badly affected by the graphics and other drivers that will be installed when my OS arrives. Yet after reading more really helpful comments I am very much of the mind to upgrade to 3 or 4gb of RAM as. As you guys said; Ram is so very inexpensive. Yet if I buy a computer with more RAM than the usual base value of 512mb or possibly 1gb (if you go to the right shop) that they ship them with, then I could theoretically pay up to 100pounds more for a machine that ships with 3 or 4gb of memory. People are paying in the most part for something that they know little or nothing about other than that it sounds better to have a 4gbRAM/250gb hard drive than a 2gbRAM/120gb hard drive if you know what I mean regardless of what applications they run, as most just browse and mail. Even they are dealing with astonishingly capable machines.
                Thank you guys again for your priceless advice... Post script... I honestly do believe that a lot of people do talk to one and other about who has the bigger machine and they do not really have any concept of what they are saying???
                Last edited by petra.legion000; 8th January 2009, 16:57. Reason: I want to get my facts and grammar corrected before posting my final reply as people like all the details (less questions)
                ....for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.

Comment

Some people do brag about their machines, but I don't really see the appeal. I'm just happy in the knowlege that I have bigger feet than they do. And you know what they say about guys with big feet

they have big shoes
                  Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

petra.legion000, sounds like you have got the info you where seeking and are on the right track. You definitely could save some money by purchasing extra ram online and installing it yourself. Especially, if you are dealing with more than one machine. Good luck
                    Rick, Windows Outreach Team

Comment

Originally posted by RickR [WINDOWS-TEAM] View Post
                      petra.legion000, sounds like you have got the info you where seeking and are on the right track. You definitely could save some money by purchasing extra ram online and installing it yourself. Especially, if you are dealing with more than one machine. Good luck
                      Rick, Windows Outreach Team
                      Thank you all and "RickR" I would like to thank you as I have utilised the "Windows Ready Boost" that you recommended and am running a high speed usb flash drive which is giving me 1.8gb extra on one of my machines. RickR- Is this 1800mb cache from my flash drive "Windows ready boost" the same as having an extra 1.8gb of RAM or something similar?

Comment

It's not the same, no - keep in mind that RAM is a lot faster than USB.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Readyboost is more designed as a poor mans solution to add some "fictive ram" but it isn't that fast as real RAM.
                          I wouldn't recommend to use it, unless their is no other solution and you need extra ram, for example you are middle in the desert or so.
                          Otherwise I rather would buy more RAM for just a few euros.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

As soon as I utilised the Windows "ready boost", using a high speed flash drive, my system performance did improve. I would like to buy alot more RAM but my wife said that we cannot afford it at the present time, so I think that Windows "ready boost" (which is giving me now 1900mb extra) is a good option.
                            Last edited by petra.legion000; 11th January 2009, 12:43. Reason: spelling mistakes

Comment

Working...
                            X