Vista Screen Saver Won't Activate.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Screen Saver Won't Activate.

For some reason, my screen saver doesn't activate when my computer isn't in use.

Any ideas?

(If there is already a topic on this that I overlooked, please post the link to that topic here)

Re: Vista Screen Saver Won't Activate.

This KB article might help http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555375
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You've not posted anywhere near enough information for anybody to help you. We don't know:

• what sort of computer system this is - is it a desktop or a laptop? If it's a laptop, is it on mains or battery power?
      • what hardware you have in your computer
      • what edition of Vista you're running, what architecture, what service pack and if it's up to date
      • if the user account you've set the screensaver as is an administrator
      • if selecting a different screensaver helps
      • if logging on as another user helps
      • what the event logs say
      • what third party software you have running that could interfere with the screensaver

Help us out here.

Hopefully, you've bothered to search Google for your problem already, and tried the suggestions on there. Presumably, these suggestions didn't work?
      Last edited by gforceindustries; 2nd January 2009, 03:54.
      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

what sort of computer system this is - is it a desktop or a laptop? If it's a laptop, is it on mains or battery power?- Desktop

what hardware you have in your computer- No clue

what edition of Vista you're running, what architecture, what service pack and if it's up to date- Still no clue

if the user account you've set the screensaver as is an administrator- I am the only user on this computer

if selecting a different screensaver helps- no

if logging on as another user helps- N/A

what the event logs say-What?

what third party software you have running that could interfere with the screensaver- I don't know, that's the problem

I got this computer for Christmas, so it is brand new. This computer is designed for small businesses, so it is really bare minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix Person
          what hardware you have in your computer- No clue
          Your screenshot shows what model the computer is - therefore you can easily find out what hardware you have if necessary.

Relevant hardware would be the pointing device. What sort of mouse do you use?

what edition of Vista you're running, what architecture, what service pack and if it's up to date- Still no clue
          Your screenshot shows very clearly that it's Vista Home Basic edition... not for use in business? Anyway, now you know.

if the user account you've set the screensaver as is an administrator- I am the only user on this computer
          Create an additional user account to test it?

what the event logs say-What?
          Are there any clues in the Windows event logs. They're under Administrative Tools and should be one of the first places you look when a Windows-based machine acts up.

what third party software you have running that could interfere with the screensaver- I don't know, that's the problem
          If you don't know what software is installed, look in the Start Menu, and at Programs and Features in Control Panel.
          Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Your screenshot shows what model the computer is - therefore you can easily find out what hardware you have if necessary.

Relevant hardware would be the pointing device. What sort of mouse do you use?

Your screenshot shows very clearly that it's Vista Home Basic edition... not for use in business? Anyway, now you know.

Create an additional user account to test it?

Are there any clues in the Windows event logs. They're under Administrative Tools and should be one of the first places you look when a Windows-based machine acts up.

If you don't know what software is installed, look in the Start Menu, and at Programs and Features in Control Panel.
            Relevant hardware would be the pointing device. What sort of mouse do you use?-Microsoft Notebook Wireless Optical Mouse 3000

Your screenshot shows very clearly that it's Vista Home Basic edition... not for use in business? Anyway, now you know. -When setting up, you have the option to set up for Home Basic or Small Business

If you don't know what software is installed, look in the Start Menu, and at Programs and Features in Control Panel- Does it matter?

Are there any clues in the Windows event logs. They're under Administrative Tools and should be one of the first places you look when a Windows-based machine acts up.- Will check on it.

EDIT: Not sure how to do your fancy quote response, so sorry for the messy post.

Comment

Well you're not the only one.
              http://www.google.nl/search?source=i...ken&meta=lr%3D
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Microsoft Notebook Wireless Optical Mouse 3000
                Well there you go then. As you saw when you first Googled the problem, this is a known issue with wireless mice. Guessing you've not installed the recommended update?

If you don't know what software is installed, look in the Start Menu, and at Programs and Features in Control Panel- Does it matter?
                Can't answer that without knowing what software is installed. What if one of those products has a known issue with this symptom?

EDIT: Not sure how to do your fancy quote response
                Use the Quote button. It's next to the Edit button that you've already found - naturally the Edit button isn't visible on someone else's post.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Hmm, forgot about Google

Thanks

Comment

And it's the most useful tool
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                    X