acer aspire 5050 touchpad in vista SP1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acer aspire 5050 touchpad in vista SP1

I've got a laptop that a spanish speaking friend needs fixed, and I'm having some issues getting vista to read the touchpad.

The problem with the laptop was that the hard drive was bad, but my friend had been playing around in the BIOS (he had a password set up, doesn't speak any english, and most english speaking people don't know what the hell BIOS are!) so although I didn't find anything wrong in the BIOS, the HDD was bad.

But now I've bought a new HDD and put vista on it, and everything went real smooth (first time I've put vista ON a computer) but it won't read the mouse. It doesn't even appear in device manager as an unknown device, which in XP I would have narrowed down to a connection issue, but with vista I'm not so sure. Is there anything else I could try before I come at this thing with a screwdriver?

Re: acer aspire 5050 touchpad in vista SP1

Originally posted by vinsai View Post
    Is there anything else I could try before I come at this thing with a screwdriver?
    First of all, I would come with the screwdriver to my friend... Just to teach him the meaning of the word "screw"
    And now seriously: I suggest you go to the manufacturer's site and install from there all the drivers for your notebook. I think that what are you looking for is the Synaptics. But I would install them all.
    Things that come with Vista are OK, but they are never a replacement for the official drivers.
    Don't forget to post back the outcome.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Does the laptop have an 'Fn' key? On some laptops, you can disable the touchpad by holding that and pressing one of the F keys - they should have icons on them to indicate what they do.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I think that this is one of those cases when the problem needs solved, not bypassed...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

My point was that maybe the device is disabled... the OP stated that it is not listed in Device Manager. That would indicate that it has not been detected - I'd be surprised if that was down to anything other than faulty or disabled hardware. I'm not trying to work around the problem.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

OK, I misunderstood you then... I thought you were suggesting to disable the touchpad.
            Oh, well. Let's wait for OP's response...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

No worries mate
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Well, there was an Fn button to enable/disable the touchpad but it still does nothing. The acer drivers page is full of extra junk that they preinstall on systems (I did find a synaptics and an ALPS touchpad driver, but neither have had any response) but none of the basics like chipset that would help this situation. I'm starting to think I might have a bad mouse....

EDIT:
                Actually, its worth noting that while the synaptics driver has had no response, the ALPS one comes up on startup and declares it has compatibility issues. I'm gonna look around for one that vista will accept. I'm still a little pessimistic as I still have no mouse hardware of any kind recognized by device manager.
                Last edited by vinsai; 21st December 2008, 18:46.

Comment

Bad hardware is possible. Keep in mind that the Fn key combinations may not work unless you install the relevant hotkey software.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Well, I got it apart and wouldn't ya know it, the bloody cable for the mouse had gotten disconnected. I knew I smelled a hardware problem when it wasn't even showing up in Device Manager.

I found disassembly instructions that made it look very difficult, which is why I was a little worried to do so in the first place. I'm glad I decided to go with my gut instinct and just went in from the top and popped the keyboard off instead of following that noob on youtubes instructions.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Comment

Good job.
                      And thank you for posting back the solution.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Thanks for posting back guess the cable must have worked itself loose.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                        X