No announcement yet.

Black Screen Of Death

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Screen Of Death

Hi all

I have a notebook that found it's way to me because of the fact that it's not logging into Vista Ultimate. It starts up fine, but after entering the password, there is nothing but the white cursor.

I have found some literature out there and they all seem to point to explorer.exe not starting and having to start it through task manager, but when I press ctrl+alt+del, my only options are to lock, switch user, change password, or shut down. Same happens in safe mode.

I tried doing a repair from the install disk, but nothing going there either, and no restore points to restore to further than a few days back, which is after the problem started. I was hoping for something similar to XP's repair installation. Is that option available in Vista? Any ideas guys?

Re: Black Screen Of Death

Hi guys

I managed to get it working, just had to use the command prompt option from the repair options and edit the registry. Please see below site for detail.

Re: Black Screen Of Death

Thanks for posting back.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.