No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streams.exe??

I have a very irritating issue going on with Vista Home Premium, 64 bit...

Tiny bit of info on me and what I need. I work in the 3D industry, Poser Community stuff. I download zips and exe's all the time, like daily. Since moving from XP Pro, 32 bit to Vista, 64 bit I have this issue with the downloads, sometimes it actually causes WinZIP 12 to freeze. Makers of WinZIP say it's a Vista security thing and so I began looking into it.

I did a google search and found this site and forums. There is this page:
    which directed me to download Streams.exe from this page:

I don't work with Run or Command Line often enough to figure out the vague "how to" to get that "block" notice turned off and disabled.

Can someone please help??

Thanks kindly

Richard ~

Re: Streams.exe??

Did you consider Method #3 in the Petri how-to that you mentioned? Or did you not want to completely turn that feature off? If you must use stream.exe, just take stream.exe and drop it into your WINDOWS\System32 folder. Next, open up a command line and type:

Streams.exe -d <filename>
    Translation: the '-d' portion tell streams.exe to delete the stream and then the '<filename>' portion tells what file you want a stream to be deleted from. For clarity, you must include the full path to the file. Here's an easy way to find a file's full path: Right click the file, select 'properties' and then note the "Location:" portion of the files General Properties tab. So if you have a file on your desktop named "", right click it, make note of the Location and type this into a command line:

streams.exe -d c:\Users\RAMWolff\Desktop\
    However, if any portion of the path to the file has spaces in it then you'll have to use quotes around the filepath:

streams.exe -d "c:\Users\RAMWolff\Desktop\bad"
    streams.exe -d "c:\Users\RAMWolff\Desktop\Other Stuff\"
    Notice the space in the filename in the first example and the space in one of the folder in the second example. Let us know if that works for you.

P.S. There are a few shortcuts and tidbits that I didn't include in this mini-tutorial for brevity's sake. For instance you don't have to put streams.exe in the System32 folder and you can also copy text into the command line instead of typing the path manually, but I'm not sure if you wanted a dissertation on the PATH variable, command scope and turning on QuickEdit Mode for a command line. All stuff that is easy enough, but it might be extraneous to this discussion. Just let us know if you really want to know about these things.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow:

Re: Streams.exe??

Ah, I don't believe it was mentioned to drop that into the System 32 folder!!

In any case I found this other thing, Unblock scripts. It's a page with two js scripts on it. They both work perfectly.

See this link here

Look for Peter Henry (Unblock) and then another one (I named them Unblock and UnblockRecursive) by binyomin (UnblockRecursive) Save these as js files, right click and run with "Open with Command Prompt" and what files you have in the folder the Unblock will do just fine (like downloaded files to the desktop) but if you have files and folders and sub folders worth then use the UnblockRecursive. Worked perfectly. I'm quite happy with these two scripts I found.

Thanks for the help!!