Command Line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command Line

I have a master program that calls on sub programs that run in the command line. when i use the master program and click the option to open one of my sub programs, it will open and then close. TRENIMATED. how do i get windows vista 64 bit to keep the windows open in the command line without having to goto the start menu and open the "CMD" .. i can get the CMD window to open via start menu and STAY open. what can i do?

Re: Command Line

Are you experiencing the same behaviour that you see if you enter ipconfig at a Run dialog? If so, then prefix the commands to be run at the Command Prompt with cmd /k.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

no, i can open cmd and exec any commands as i generly would, but when my master program calls on the subs .. for some reason windows will not hold open the command shell.. to me its very confusing. windows will hold open the command shell when i input command's from the "Run cmd" shell. my master program calls on a wireless card ( my card is compatiable) and looks for a network. im trying to learn lunix and my master program helps me with some of the command lines. it is ALOT of trouble to input the commands my self and the wifi card data is really long to input. so if there is a way to make windows vista hold open my shell programs from my master program that would be so much better the spending 2 hours setting everything up by hand. any ideas?

Comment

Errr what is a "Master progam"?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

its a bunch of command based programs compiled into one GUI for easier access

Comment

Originally posted by Ageless View Post
            how do i get windows vista 64 bit to keep the windows open in the command line without having to goto the start menu and open the "CMD" .. i can get the CMD window to open via start menu and STAY open. what can i do?
            You could create a batch file to start as login script.

Also, regarding your problem I think your master problem calls a program outside the main program. I'm not at all expert in coding but my suggesion is to create the sub program as a sub-routine. Hope this makes sense
            Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
            MCITP [AD]

Comment

to me it makes sence. I will have to rewrite my master program. altho i was hoping i would not have to do so. ohh well life of programing with VISTA .. ARGGG ty you all for the responce.

Ageless

Comment

Originally posted by Ageless View Post
                I will have to rewrite my master program. altho i was hoping i would not have to do so. ohh well life of programing with VISTA
                Maybe you do, maybe you do not. In order to be able to help you, one needs more information about your application.

As I've gathered, you got some kind of main application that provides a menu. In which language this main program is written? Are the sub programs batch scripts (.bat / .cmd)?

I think you want to have access to multiple shells with pre-determined startup commands, right? Like "launch cmd, set wifi card ip address as a static one, map some network drives" or "launch cmd, set static route to somewhere, map network printer" ans so on. The problem you have, you can launch such a shell, but it immediately closes after executing all the commands and you can't benefit from the commands the script launched, right?

Show us some code - it might provide some insight into this problem

-vP

Comment

Working...
                X