No announcement yet.

How to use "adduser" command in Cygwin?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use "adduser" command in Cygwin?

Hi I've been following this tutorial to setup SSH on Vista.
    I got a lot of permission warnings compared to what this tutorial illustrated but somehow I made it worked despite all those warnings. (At least when I test ssh locally)

But I don't feel comfortable using my admin account to SSH or SCP from a friends computer when we have our LAN parties and want to exchange files directly.
    Maybe using the MS Network is easier but I haven't learnt howto do that yet. Been using Linux for so long I no longer remember howto use Windows in particular Vista

Anyhow my main question is: How do I enable the Unix/Linux command "adduser" or "useradd" on Cygwin? So that I don't have to SCP using my admin account.

Re: How to use "adduser" command in Cygwin?

From memory, Cygwin uses the Windows user accounts - it doesn't maintain its own set of user accounts. Have a read of - one of the replies gives you the command lines required to add a Windows user.
    Originally posted by Etienne Mbuyi
    >$ net user AyamJ password /add /yes
    >$ net localgroup <an_local_group> AyamJ /add
    >$ mkpassd -l -u AyamJ >> /etc/passwd
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.