No announcement yet.

Can I install Vista in my PC with xp installed?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I install Vista in my PC with xp installed?

I am working as a technical support executive for Brigade Inc.( Fresher )

We support HP notebooks shipped with Vista and xp.

So I would like to install Vista in my PC so that I will be familiar with vista .

But I would like to have both vista and xp.

I would like to know what I have to consider before installing vista.( Tips and Tricks )

My system details :

Processor : Intel Dual core 1.6 GHz

RAM : 1Gb

Hard Disk : 160 Gb SATA

Re: Can I install Vista in my PC with xp installed?

I think that you need more memory if nothing else. At least another gig, another 2 would be preferable. I also think that your CPU will let you down with regards to performance.

If you're asking if it's possible to dual-boot XP and Vista, then yes it is

You'll need to create a partition on your hard drive to install Vista.

Daniel has a number of articles on the site about tweaking Vista to improve performance.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Which edition of Vista are you considering installing? Vista Business will give you a different experience than Vista Ultimate on those hardware specs. I've heard of very favorable experiences with Vista Business on a P4 with (I think) 1GB or RAM, so I think you should be fine.

Are you thinking about dual booting or using a virtual machine? Of course, if you use a VM then you'll certainly need at least another GB of RAM, preferably two. You may want to read up on the subject of dual booting the two. Specifically, I think dual booting with XP installed first is a bit of a headache. Here's a tutorial on dual booting the two with XP installed first.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow:

I'd get as much ram as ur system can handle and go with vmware. That way u can run both os's at once and work on them both at the same time.
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Reported for move to Vista forum as this has nothing to do with Server OS
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **