X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Vista unable to rename folders

Windows Vista unable to rename folders
    Hello there,

One of our employees is currently using Windows Vista. The problem he has been having is it will allow him to create new folders or but nut rename folders in a network drive. Everytime we attempt to create a folder the following message appears: "the folder does not exist, the file may have been moved or deleted do you want to create it" we click yes we want to create it but the pop up with the same question just keeps reappearing.

Is there any way of fixing this without a re-install. This is a very annoying issue. Does the registry have to be changed in any way?

If anybody can please help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Windows Vista unable to rename folders

Any problems in the event log on the client or server? Worth running a chkdsk on the server's data partitions, Does it work ok on non-Vista workstations?

What OS is the fileserver running? What's the old name of the folder, and the name you're trying to change it to?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

No there are none. This is only happening on Vista workstations. XP workstations are fine. I can create a folder but cannot rename it. Once I attempt to rename it, it get that message.

Comment

What OS is the fileserver running? What's the old name of the folder, and the name you're trying to change it to?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

The file server is running on windows server 03. There is no name for the folder. I can create folders but not rename it.

Comment

Ok, so the current folder name is New Folder.

Please can you give some examples of the new names you have tried for folders. Have you tried any that only contain letters and/or numbers - no spaces, punctuation or other special characters? Make sure you type the name rather than pasting it from the clipboard.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

What permissions are on the share and folder?

I believe, from another post, that to rename a folder you require delete permissions.
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I don't get it ...
                You give in your initial post the link to the solution. Have you tried the Registry change posted there? Did not work for you?
                Maybe you should move to another location ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

It's another post that I posted on another site to get a solution.

Comment

Have you tried the solution that is shown there?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Working...
                    X