Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Vista

Hi there,

1. Can you upgrade from a 32bit Vista (Say home basic) to a 64bit Vista (Home premium) and vice versa? From 64 to 32? Or you will have to perform a clean install?
    I keep seeing different opinions online so I thought I better ask here.

2. Regarding vista upgrade paths from older OS's, On the official microsoft books they say you can only upgrade from Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP2 and above, to windows vista - is that correct? (I saw a video of CBT-NUGGETS that claims that you can even upgrade from Windows NT so I am just making sure).

* Also, the "bit" part applys here exactly as it does on question "1" above?

Thank you.
    hayadata.com

Re: Upgrading Vista

1. You can upgrade home basic 32 bit to any 32-bit version of Vista. AFAIK you cannot upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit and vice versa

2. You can upgrade from Windows XP version to Vista if is 32-bit version.
    In W2k case, Windows 2000 won't let you upgrade. You need to do "migratinig" to Vista. Basicly that means you need to make clean install and use tools like Vista easy transfer to migrate user profiles and files to new computer that's running Windows Vista

Comment

Re: Upgrading Vista

Also note that if you do a WAU (Windows Anytime Upgrade), the 64-bit discs are not included. You will need to go to a special Microsoft web page and order the 64-bit discs at the cost of shipping. The regular retail upgrade package includes both 32 and 64-bit installation discs (at least the retail Ultimate upgrade that I purchased did ). Take a look at this rather rambling blog entry for one person's woes on upgrading. There's a followup blog post as well.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
      X