Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting\Replacing hard drive controller drivers outside Vista environment

Hello everybody.

I'm trying to save me some time on reinstalling all the programs by switching the hard drive from a dead computer, to a new one (both Sony VAIO - different models, Vista Business).

The problem is when the hard drive controller drivers from the old hard drive try to load on start up on new computer, obviously i get a BSOD.

Is there a possibility to somehow delete or replace the drivers to MS standard outside Windows environment?

thank you!

Re: Deleting\Replacing hard drive controller drivers outside Vista environment

You could try two things:

1. Run sysprep with the drive installed in the old computer. Then move the drive to the new computer. When the new computer boots, mini setup will run and should detect the hardware on the new machine and load the appropriate drivers.

2. Use a third party product like Acronis that can create an image of your current computer and restore it to dissimilar hardware.

Comment

Thank you for the fast reply.

Action done by now.

The OLD computer is dead and already gone to a laboratory for a repair.

There was no possibility to do a logical action of replacing the controller drivers to standard ones.

I have the image of the old drive, and that's what i was trying to do - force the old image to boot on new hardware, but it didn't work so well due to different controller drivers and hardware.

Vista's repair tool tried couple of times to repair and as it claimed after doing that "successfully" it still gave me BSOD.
      Now there is no Vista installation disc came with a new VAIO so i could do a repair installation, except a German version of XP, so i'm kinda desperate.

Any ideas?

Comment

Take the old drive to a working computer. Connect it as a secondary drive. Purchase Acronis. Image the old drive with Acronis. Restore the image to the new computer using the Acronis "universal restore" option.

Comment

Wow, now reading about the option.

Thanks for the information!!

I'll handle it from here.

Comment

Working...
          X