Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to access file server configured on Vista Business edition

Hi,
    I came across an issue today where after accessing the file server (configured on a vista machine) for sometime i observed extreme slowness untill i was kicked out by Vista with "Network path not found error". After rebooting the system everything is back to normal. This behaviour is common after continously accessing the Vista file server.
    CPU usage is not high when the pc stops responding, The PC is brand new with 2Gigs of RAM and recently formatted using a default image. All windows updates are installed.
    When i get the above error i noticed i was not able to access the shares using //x.x.x.x.
    Network is a gigabit network with no collision. Need more assistance.
    Thank you.

Re: Unable to access file server configured on Vista Business edition

How many users are sharing this "file server"?
    There is a hard limit of 10
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Can you ping the machine once it stops accepting connections? Is there an error message displayed when you try to access fileshares?

Client editions of Windows are just that, clients. They are not designed to be used as servers.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

There are only 3 users accessing this PC. Yes i am able to ping the system during access failure. Yes Network path not found error when the pc stops accepting connections.
        There are around 7 to 8 shares on this pc and its not heavily utilized like a normal file server would.

Comment

Do you have an antivirus installed? Does it still happen if u disable/uninstall it?
          I'd try process explore and see what is running at the time that u loose connection, should help diagnose it.
          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

And i'm guessing that you've checked the network cable ect ect.
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Working...
          X