Ready Boost - How much does it help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready Boost - How much does it help?

Ive been trialing out Ready boost on a Vista laptop & a desktop for a few days now & cant say I have noticed that much much of a difference.

For anyone who doesnt know what Ready boost is, the basics are that it is a feature of Vista & 2008 which allows you to plug a USB stick into your pc that is supposed to speed up boot times & assist with disk caching.

For some more detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

Some FAQ's answered by the developer of Ready Boost Matt Ayers.

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx

Has anyone noticed significant speed increases?

Either in boot up times or disk reads & writes?

Re: Ready Boost - How much does it help?

I can't say I have seen any noticeable difference myself, either with or without.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I doubt you would see improved disk performance, as ReadyBoost can't do anything about the speed of a disk or its controller. The benefits you stand to gain really depend on the hardware config of your machine and what you are trying to do with it.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I briefly had Vista Ultimate on my Dell D420 and noticed a _small_ increase in performance. However I expect this is due to the fact that the D420 has an ATA drive (1.8" iPod style) rather than SATA. If you have a fast hard drive I wouldn't expect much difference if any.

I was using an SD card in the onboard reader rather than a USB drive BTW.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

as ReadyBoost can't do anything about the speed of a disk or its controller
          Correct, but from what I understand it lends it help to your RAM , the prefetch & the page file on your disk. If you are boderline with your RAM it might be ok, or if your page file is on the same disk as your OS & profiles, then theoretically there might be a performance increase, however, I havnt seen it or felt it.

I benchmarked my pc before & after ready boost & didnt see any significant increase. But maybe thats because I have ample Ram & my page file is on another disk anyway. The benchmark couldnt test for boot time, but I couldnt tell how much ready boost was assisting there, but I didnt "feel" any noticable increase in boot time.

However, other people swear by its power & excellence. Maybe I have been doing something wrong.

Comment

Since things run slow in Queensland you probably won't any difference.

How do you quantify significant speed increases? (Serious question)

Back in the mid 90s there were several apps that promised to "speed up" your CPU, RAM & Bulletin Board downloads to name just a few. Some people had incredible results while the less gullible noticed nothing. One was even going to turn my 286 into a 486, speedwise.

ReadyBoosts, from the little I have read about it, seems more to target specific process/applications so I question its general worth. While it may work and deliver significant speed increases for some, I think I will get a faster spinning platter.

On a side note, have you made the change to Vista so it will use both CPU cores during boot instead of the Default 1?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Since things run slow in Queensland you probably won't any difference.
              Game on pal.... game ON.. Lol. . Victorians, sheesh, garden state tee he hee.

How do you quantify significant speed increases? (Serious question)
              First of all I ran benchmarking software before I installed ready boost & also timed boot up with a stop watch . I also timed a few large calculations on calc.exe & then repeated the same tests after I put the usb stick in & turned ready boost on.

I did the same test again with ready boost on after a day of being in place.

Overall, I DID notice an increase in performance, but not enough to make me go "phwooooarrh!!, this is hot!!!". Which was kind of what I was expecting. Maybe they need to add a disclaimer.

Back in the mid 90s there were several apps that promised to "speed up" your CPU, RAM & Bulletin Board downloads to name just a few. Some people had incredible results while the less gullible noticed nothing. One was even going to turn my 286 into a 486, speedwise.
              I remember, but they were ALL 3rd party werent they? Ready boost is built in & Microsoft made. Unfortunately, I tried many of those apps. Mainly the RAM ones as RAM was expensive back then & 64Mb of it seemed like lightning fast.

I think I will get a faster spinning platter.
              Agreed. I think decent quality RAM & enough of it & good disk subsystem & there is no noticable benefit to readyboost.

have you made the change to Vista so it will use both CPU cores during boot instead of the Default 1?
              Ya.

Comment

have you made the change to Vista so it will use both CPU cores during boot instead of the Default 1?
                By the way, I meant to mention, that adding the extra cores in msconfig for boot time is a myth.

http://lifehacker.com/5033518/debunk...tweaking-myths

I find that despite the article above saying that tweaking the services does nothing. I find it does. Many gamers & tweakers use this site to get the best out of their pc. I DEFINATELY see a perfomance increase & benchamrking PROVES it when the services are tweaked.

Vista Services tweak: http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm
                Last edited by mobius2011; 21st October 2008, 00:28. Reason: Dropped my left handed screwdriver

Comment

Working...
                X