Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - Display Brightness in Power Plans

Group,

In Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, does anyone know how or if I can adjust the "Display Brightness" found in the Power Plan Settings to go lower/darker than the current factory settings? I have mine set to the lowest it will go but it is not dark enough for night time viewing.

Doug

Re: Question - Display Brightness in Power Plans

Have you tried adjusting the actual monitor settings???

Comment

Monitor settings? In a laptop? I dont beleive there are settings for a monitor on a laptop like there are for an external monitor in a desktop setup.

Anyway though, Im really looking to see if there is an 'overide' in the software settings that can be adjusted to allow me to make the screen go dimmer than it currently does. This is what I really am wanting...

Doug

Comment

Of course wullieb1 would have known you had a laptop from the information you gave originally...

There may be settings for the graphics card, Ati usually have slider bars or similar so maybe look there?

You could play with the reg at the bottom of here but I have no idea what it may do and it is entirely at your own risk.
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa906355.aspx
        Last edited by AndyJG247; 14th October 2008, 09:22.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

There is usually a push-button "Brightness" control on the laptop keyboard; for instance my Thinkpad T60 has "Brightness up" on <FN><Home> and "Brightness Down" on <FN><End>. If you use those and it won't go lower, then you have reached the minimum brightness for your laptop. Also there are often brightness settings in the BIOS.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by dcpaq2 View Post
            Monitor settings? In a laptop? I dont beleive there are settings for a monitor on a laptop like there are for an external monitor in a desktop setup.

Anyway though, Im really looking to see if there is an 'overide' in the software settings that can be adjusted to allow me to make the screen go dimmer than it currently does. This is what I really am wanting...

Doug
            Can you please show where in your original post you mention that you have a laptop????

Along with Tom though my Dell has the same feature FN Up Key

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              Can you please show where in your original post you mention that you have a laptop????

Along with Tom though my Dell has the same feature FN Up Key
              Wullie!
              Have you lost your Official Moderator Issue Crystal Ball AGAIN?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Wullie!
                Have you lost your Official Moderator Issue Crystal Ball AGAIN?
                Yes boss sorry boss won't happen again boss promise

Comment

Dcpaq2, (just to get back on topic), what is the make/model of your laptop. There will be Brightness and Contrast controls on the keyboard and if you search the electronic manual for Brightness or Contrast you should get the key combinations.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yep, make and model are pretty useful. Dell for example have brightness settings in the BIOS for on/off battery, enabling the Ambient Light Sensor (off by default usually) and such like. Factory installs also usually have the Quickset power management software installed, so it may be nothing to do with the OS.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X