Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote connect to another family member computer across town.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote connect to another family member computer across town.

Hi everyone,

My mother is going to babysit my newborn daughter at my house. But she would like to use my Windows Vista Ultimate laptop and remote connect to her Windows Home premium computer at her house.

My question is how to set that up? Are their any articles to do this? Can we use vpn?

Re: Remote connect to another family member computer across town.

Any "Home" version of a Windows OS does not allow you to remotely connect to it via RDP. You can RDP from a Home edition to a Pro/Business/Ultimate edition, but not the other way around. Sorry.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

And what about remote assistance?
      Ok, there must me someone on the other site to send a support request but ok
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
        Any "Home" version of a Windows OS does not allow you to remotely connect to it via RDP. You can RDP from a Home edition to a Pro/Business/Ultimate edition, but not the other way around. Sorry.
        Are there any alternatives?

Comment

VNC will do it.

Why can't she just use yours??? Setup a new account for her then delete when she is done.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            VNC will do it.

Why can't she just use yours??? Setup a new account for her then delete when she is done.
            I bit my tongue concerning VNC since technically Microsoft prohibits the use of any remote control application other than Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance, and NetMeeting. And yet, I've heard that Microsoft techs will tell you to just use VNC sometimes.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

VNC will do it.
              Can the VNC could be use with VPN to be more secure? Or do we need some kind of vpn router?

Well my mother works a very small business out of her home she'll need to use certain programs on her computer to do her daily operations.

Comment

I can't think of any way to do it that won't cost you some money. RealVNC server only gives a 30 day eval on Vista although the viewer keeps working. GotoMyPC and things like that all cost money as well for more than a short trial period. Of course if this is only a short term arrangement then that isn't a problem.

Can the VNC could be use with VPN to be more secure? Or do we need some kind of vpn router?
                That is certainly more secure, and Vista Business does support a VPN into it, whether or not this feature is in the Home editions I don't know. I would doubt it given that RDP is disabled.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

www.logmein.com

Very good, time-unlimited free use (but you lose some functions). It's also 256-bit encrypted point-to-point and you have to log in with an account on the remote machine.

You have to prepare in advance by going to logmein.com from the PC you're going to control FIRST, to download the server plugin, and add it to the web page as a valid PC. Once that's done though, it's simply brilliant.

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                    www.logmein.com
                    You have to prepare in advance by going to logmein.com from the PC you're going to control FIRST, to download the server plugin, and add it to the web page as a valid PC. Once that's done though, it's simply brilliant.
                    Every time my mother remote connect to her computer would she have to do the server plugin before leaving the house?

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                    That is certainly more secure, and Vista Business does support a VPN into it, whether or not this feature is in the Home editions I don't know. I would doubt it given that RDP is disabled

If I do need to upgrade the computer to vista business what wireless vpn router is great to use? Also, I found this link below how to setup a vpn connection with ipsec. My question is this link has the best practice for setting up this kind of security?

http://www.homenethelp.com/vpn/router-linksys.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam View Post
                      If I do need to upgrade the computer to vista business what wireless vpn router is great to use?
                      You can actually set up the Vista machine itself to be the VPN endpoinr by following these instructions. Your router will need to be capable of port forwarding TCP ports as well as IP Protocol 47 (GRE). Apparently some routers will automatically forward GRE without you needing to manually configure anything (which confused me greatly once when setting up a Windows Server RRAS box )

If you want to get an actual router that has VPN capabilities, you may want to try the LinkSys RV042 which can do an IPSec or PPTP VPN. While I wouldn't recommend it for a business (I have to support a RV082 which is a bit finicky), it would be just fine for a home usage.
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                        You can actually set up the Vista machine itself to be the VPN endpoinr by following these instructions. Your router will need to be capable of port forwarding TCP ports as well as IP Protocol 47 (GRE). Apparently some routers will automatically forward GRE without you needing to manually configure anything (which confused me greatly once when setting up a Windows Server RRAS box )

If you want to get an actual router that has VPN capabilities, you may want to try the LinkSys RV042 which can do an IPSec or PPTP VPN. While I wouldn't recommend it for a business (I have to support a RV082 which is a bit finicky), it would be just fine for a home usage.

Which one is more secure? The Vista VPN endpoint or the VPN router?

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam View Post
                          Which one is more secure? The Vista VPN endpoint or the VPN router?
                          Mostly what would determine the security level of the VPN would be the authentication method and encryption protocol used. Using a Widows desktop machine as the VPN endpoint would restrict you to using PPTP with MS-CHAP authentication and it's built-in MPPE encryption method. (I'm not sure if you can use IPSec when you're using a Windows machine as the endpoint, but I don't think so). It's not the worst... but not the greatest either. Using the LinkSys RV042 allows you to choose either a PPTP VPN or an IPSec VPN. IPSec is more secure, however I know from experience that the LinkSys QuickVPN client (which you must use on any computer that you want to connect to the IPSec VPN) is a bit flakey and feels like a hacked together college project. If you look into it, you'll know what I mean.

On the other hand, using the Vista Business machine as the VPN endpoint means that you'll most likely want to give it a static IP on the LAN which might be inconvenient if it's a laptop that travels a lot. You'll also be opening and forwarding ports on your router. It's not terribly insecure for your situation that I can think of, but still something to consider.

I would think that for your situation allowing PPTP VPN connections on your home computer (with its MS-CHAP and MPPE components) would be just fine, unless you're the center of a conspiracy perpetrated by, the CIA, FBI, MI6, and Barney the Purple Dinosaur (all closely related to eacother... trust me). I tihnk you'll always be able to see if anyone is connected to the VPN just by looking at the VPN endpoint icon in the network connections folder and seeing how many connections there are. Of course, purchasing the RV042 might simplify things and also give you a cool toy to play with.
                          Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Vista Business will, as nonapeptide said, directly support a PPTP VPN. It _may_ be possible to configure an L2TP VPN using a pre-shared key, I've never researched it as PPTP is fine for most people. I've used mostly Draytek Vigor routers in the past but they are mostly for SOHO use, so are a bit more expensive than your average home routers. If you do decide to upgrade to Vista Business then make sure your current router supports VPN passthrough. Forwarding port 1723 for PPTP traffic is never a problem, but most routers won't let you pass protocols directly. I've seen routers where the VPN will connect and appear to authenticate, but then drop the connection as the GRE packets can't get back to the originating computer and fully establish the tunnel.

I forgot all about logmein, and that was what we used as a remote access solution at my last job!

Edit: Just checked it out and there's no option I can find to change the VPN security settings, so it looks like PPTP only for incoming connections.
                            Last edited by cruachan; 1st October 2008, 16:16.
                            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                            sigpic
                            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

RE: LogMeIn.com, no - once the agent is set up on the computer to be accessed it's there until you remove it; it really is the most brilliant service.

Tom
                              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                              X