Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disable Vista Security Confirmations, How Do I Do It?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable Vista Security Confirmations, How Do I Do It?

Hi Everyone,

So I've decided to go with a new Windows laptop over the few Macbooks I've tried. Love Windows XP but some things about Vista I absolutely hate.

First one is the constant security confirmations, whenever I try to:
    Rename A File
    Delete A File
    Move A File

I get these ridiculous double confirmations that make it a huge hassle, how do I disable them so when I want to rename a file or drag it into the trashcan it just goes ahead and does it without asking me if I'm sure if I want to do what I just did?

Would be awesome if anyone could help.

Re: Disable Vista Security Confirmations, How Do I Do It?

Yo, Smitty...
    First of all, welcome to the Petri.co.il forums!
    Second, the feature you are talking about is called User Account Control (or UAC, in short). It's a very important security feature, IMHO. I understand why it can be a pain in the a** sometimes, but every coin has two sides.
    Anyway, take a look at this article, written by our friend Daniel. It will help you in achieving the goal.
    Last edited by sorinso; 20th September 2008, 16:37.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Better still, use this:

http://www.12ghosts.com/pro/dev/silencer.htm

It will temporarily turn off UAC allowing you to do what you need before turning it back on again.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

BTW, part of the confirmation requests will disappear if you make the current user part of the local Administrators group.
        I also suggest you read this article from Microsoft, regarding UAC : Understanding and Configuring User Account Control in Windows Vista .

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Another tweak you can use is found in Start -> Run -> secpol.msc -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options . You have there nine options of altering UAC behavior.
          Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

This is quite a good feature on vistas uac

Get better security with Vista by implementing best practices for using User Account Control

http://www.itexpertmag.com/client/ge...ccount-control

hope it helps
            Jj

Comment

Even though this feature is annoying, it ensures unauthorized programs such as malwares will not execute without confirmation when your computer is always connected to a network. When a normal user is in the Administrator group, UAC will not prompt for a password. Only a confirmation to execute selected program.
              Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
              MCITP [AD]

Comment

Working...
              X