Wireless network drop every 60 seconds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless network drop every 60 seconds

I recently aquired a new Vista Home Premium laptop which is exhibiting a rather strange problem with wireless. Every 60 seconds the wireless network drops out, but re-establishes conectivity in a second or so. I first noticed this when playing mp3 files from a share off this laptop. When I do a ping -t with a size of 1024, I see the network timeout every 60 seconds. I have disabled IPv6, and the two discovery protocols as well as the QoS to no avail.

My old XP laptop has no such issues on the same network so I doubt if the network itself is the issue.

When I did some research, it was suggested that it may be a power issue. I disabled power saving and still have the same problem.

Disabling firewalls made no difference either and all drivers appear to be at their most current revision.

Google searches also reveil that this may be something to do with the way Vista handles wireless networking. I found a reference to a program called Vista VAL (Aniti Lag - wakoopa.com/software/vista-anti-lag-val) which did not improve the situation either.

When I was searching google I noted that it did not seem to matter what brand of machine or network card was in use as other experienced similar issues. One post noted that the problem only appeared when running Vista and when they used Ubuntoo on the same hardware it was fine.

Obviously I'm not the only one experiencing this problem, but I have yet to find a real solution. Does anyone here have any?

Re: Wireless network drop every 60 seconds

What security protocol are you using on the wireless connection? WEP, WPA etc etc or none?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Wireless is using WEP 128 bit.

Comment

Try upgrading to WPA and see how that goes. It worked for me when I was playing with Vista and who knows, it may work for you too.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Changing to WPA makes no difference.

Comment

What is the model of the wireless NIC and the WAP? There may also be a Registry key that will stop the disconnection (like the 15 minute mapped drive timeout) but I don't know that for sure. Google and see if you can find something along those lines.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

OK, I may have found a solution here.... a little background:

The wireless card is an Atheros AR928x. Although it appears to have the latest driver according to the laptop manufacturer, there are other versions available. The driver installed was 7.6.0.96. Although the Atheros web site offers nothing of value, there is an unofficial atheros site (www.atheros.cz) that has a number of drivers. For this card, there were 3 other levels above the .96 one to try.

Of the three I tried (.126, .114, and .108 ) the best network repsonse was with the .114 driver.

I no longer have the drop issue and I have been testing to ensure my BeyondTV works too as it did not work as well with the other two drivers I tried.

So far, so good though. As a side note, it would be nice if Atheros could simply provide drivers on their web site like most manufacturers do. That may have saved some time resolving this issue.
              Last edited by biggles77; 15th September 2008, 09:01. Reason: Fixed smilie problem.

Comment

Sounds like you have the problem, licked, but here's one additional hypothesis to consider: The new hardware may operate on a different frequency (or default do different channels) than your old wifi card, and therefore be vulnerable to interference from other devices that didn't affect you before.

I was having problems with a wireless router/client connection a while back that largely went away when a friend suggested forcing the router to a different channel. By coincidence, i had just installed a new 2.4ghz cordless phone at about the time the problems appeared.

Comment

Try these config settings:

Intermittent Connectivity and the most common scenario is an automatic disconnect about every 3 minutes.

1) 802.1X authentication is enabled for wireless network that does not support 802.1X authentication. You may disable 802.1X authentication.
                  2) The computer is running Microsoft wireless software and wireless manufacturer software.
                  3) Disable IPv6.
                  4) Disable NIC power management
                  5) Re-set NIC speed.
                  6) Radio frequency (RF) interference from nearby devices such as cordless phone and Bluetooth devices
                  7) Outdated wireless network adapter driver

Comment

tigergr:

I just want to thank you for posting about a connection problem you were having in the fall. I hope your computer connections are still up and running. It seems that the solution that worked for you (and a real simple one at that), has solved my issues also. Thank you. You have no idea how much of my free time you have just freed up!

I have a laptop running vista. About 2 weeks ago, I got verizon fios. My very old desktop now works superbly, but my wireless laptop would lose connection about every 2-3 minutes. It's been so frustrating. Verizon replaced the router 2 times and I've tried numerous--NUMEROUS-- things I've found on these sites to try. And countess hours on the phone with verizon. Nothing worked. Then... I read yours about updated the driver or trying a different version. I looked for my version and found that in my laptop was an option of updating the driver. I figured I would try that first. I felt it was safe because I saw there was an option to roll it back, too. So, lo and behold I tried it. And I didn't need to go any further!

Thank you again. If it wasn't for you sharing that, I'd still be searching. I'm angry that verizon tech support didn't tell me to do that in the first place. It seems like it should be tech support 101. It tooks just minutes, too, instead of the two weeks I worked on it. On the driver site, it actually says that you should update your driver once a month. Once a month! Who knew? Clearly not me.

Again, thank you. I joined this forum just to send you this message. Really, I so appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                    X