Remote Desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop

I'm running two computers, one Laptop(Vista Home), one Desktop(Vista Home) on the same network. My goal is to be able to remote desktop into either or using remote desktop connection. However when I enter the ip adress(192.168.1.107) for the computer I wish to control I get the error:

Code:
    This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
    Both computers have Allow Remote Connects checked and both have the firewalls configured.

Re: Remote Desktop

The Home edition of a Windows operating system cannot be used to 'host' a remote desktop session. In other words, you can use a home edition to remote into a XP Pro or Vista Ultimate/Business edition computer, but you cannot remote into a XP or Vista Home edition.
    Last edited by Nonapeptide; 28th August 2008, 14:14.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Man that is a bummer, seems everything I want to try in windows be it Server 2k8 or Vista you have have some super expensive special edition. Weird that it's so popular with all the cost.

Anyways thanks for the reply and info I'll move onto something else.

Comment

So if I cant host remote sessions on my Home edition then why can I log into my server via remote desktop, isn't that hosting?

Comment

Originally posted by blackvd View Post
          Man that is a bummer, seems everything I want to try in windows be it Server 2k8 or Vista you have have some super expensive special edition. Weird that it's so popular with all the cost.

Anyways thanks for the reply and info I'll move onto something else.
          Actually, I don't see what's so odd in understanding that every product has its purposes and limitations. When you buy a car, will it give you anything you need? Will a car made for urban use serve you on some forest or icy roads?
          Same for Vista. Take a look at this comparison table and see for yourself what features are available in which version. This way, you will be able to better choose what best suites you in the future... BTW, it is the most comprehensive comparison I found...
          So if I cant host remote sessions on my Home edition then why can I log into my server via remote desktop, isn't that hosting?
          From Vista Home (Basic or Premium) you can connect to other machine, but you cannot connect to it.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

No, hosting is when someone else logs into your PC
            So your server is the host, your PC is the client
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Actually, I don't see what's so odd in understanding that every product has its purposes and limitations. When you buy a car, will it give you anything you need? Will a car made for urban use serve you on some forest or icy roads?
              Same for Vista. Take a look at this comparison table and see for yourself what features are available in which version. This way, you will be able to better choose what best suites you in the future... BTW, it is the most comprehensive comparison I found...

From Vista Home (Basic or Premium) you can connect to other machine, but you cannot connect to it.
              I don't know about all that. It seems to me more about increasing profit for a company that has become way too greedy for its own good. But no point in debating that, as it will never end.

No, hosting is when someone else logs into your PC
              So your server is the host, your PC is the client
              As far as connecting remotely is concerned thanks for clearing that up I now understand.

Comment

Greedy? So because they want to maximize profit they are greedy? And why pick on MS? Show me a company that doesn't want and do everything possible to make as much as they can. Furthermore a publicly traded company that does not do everything in it's power to make as much as it can is not serving it's shareholders. You can call it greed, but I call it capitalism.

Here's the definition of greed:

excessive or rapacious desire, esp. for wealth or possessions.

So you think MS is excessive or rapacious in their quest for profit?

Greed is a quality best used for describing people and not entities.

Remember, money is not the root of all evil. The love of money is the root of all evil.

Comment

I have to second joeqwerty... But I really don't want to start this debate ...
                  I think that one of the reasons there are so many different versions today are all the past trials, in which Microsoft was accused of not seeing the interest of its users and not letting them choose what browser, media player (and so on) they want to use. Or that they have to pay for features they won't use (like a home user should pay for the AD features...).
                  Again, now you have the freedom to choose. So choose... Don't whine about it ...
                  Addition to joeqwerty's last line: "He who thinks money is everything, will do everything for the money".

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Please keep the thread on topic. If you want to bash Microsoft please do it in the Lounge. Thank you.

This thread is now being monitored.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X