Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate backup and restore

Hi

Just upgraded to Vista ultimate and was interested in the full backup and restore.

I notice that after the first backup any further backup is incremental. I distrust incremental backups and would prefer to have a full backup every time.

Does anyone know of a way to tell vista to do this?

thanks

Ian

Re: Ultimate backup and restore

Check this out.

I did it on a Vista Ultimate and it worked. It allows you to run the old NTbackup utility on Vista and your not constrained by the new backup utility in Vista.

http://www.petri.com/installing_wind...dows_vista.htm

Comment

I think you misinterpret the complete backup method as incremental... In the following backups, Vista backs up only changes to the files... The backup "updates" the image of the previous backup. But because it is done on the same location, you always have the "full picture" (unlike a tape incremental backup, that you might have the full backup on one tape and following incremental backups reside on other tapes...).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by jenodorf View Post
        Hi

Just upgraded to Vista ultimate and was interested in the full backup and restore.

I notice that after the first backup any further backup is incremental. I distrust incremental backups and would prefer to have a full backup every time.

Does anyone know of a way to tell vista to do this?

thanks

Ian
        Why would you distrust an incremental backup? An incremental backup only appends the CHANGES to the original FULL backup. This saves time as well as decreasing CPU cycles on your PC/Server. There are no benefits whatsoever by completing a full back up every time when its far simpler and more effective to backup the diffrential changes once the full backup is complete. Almost all imaging software like Acronis and Symantec as well as windows to decrease the backup window.

Comment

Hi

I've distrusted incrementals ever since whilst doing a restore NT backup asked me for a tape I couldn't find or didnt have dated six months previous. IT just put me off

cheers

Ian

Comment

Hi

I've distrusted incrementals ever since whilst doing a restore NT backup asked me for a tape I couldn't find or didnt have dated six months previous. IT just put me off

cheers

Ian
            The new windows backup doesnt support backups to tape anymore. Only external disc and CD, DVD-RW. Its far superior to the NTbackup equivalent as well as allowing you to create an IMAGE based backup.

Comment

a restore NT backup asked me for a tape I couldn't find
              I suppose you did not read my previous post, did you?
              The current backup method is not working on tapes anymore !!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

HI

No I didn't see your previous post, I seem to be having issues with boards

Thanks for the info

Ian

Comment

Oh my... Luckly I've timemachine on my mac
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

A Tardis perhaps???

Comment

Working...
                    X