Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista SP1 allows upgrade from XP?

Hello,
    According to what I could find, Vista + SP1 should allow an upgrade route.
    Not so, according to what I have discovered. Nothing different between the version of Vista X64 + SP1 and what I had previously burned to DVD.
    Neither allows an Upgrade: in both instances the option is greyed out when booting up from a computer restart.
    Equally, when trying to use the setup.exe in the DVD root, the result is a statement denying that the executable is a Win32 object.
    This is ridiculous: not everyone wants a clean installation, and in particular I don't because I want to test everything.
    Regards,
    Paul
    Last edited by dickins_paul; 5th August 2008, 02:59. Reason: correction

Re: Vista SP1 allows upgrade from XP?

Duh?
    I'm having a tough time trying to understand what are you doing. What OS are you upgrading from?
    Take a look at these two articles, maybe you'll find the info you need:
    - Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
    - Get Windows Vista: Upgrade options

BTW, you're trying to run Setup.EXE from the 64-bit installation CD and you are puzzled you get "it is not a valid 32 bit application" ?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Only guessing here but you probably need the upgrade media plus I think Vista only allows upgrade when running within the OS rather than booting from the media itself. Not a vista expert though.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Not at all, Andy.
        There are specific combinations that you have to boot from the installation disc to upgrade. See the links in my previous post.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

You are of course correct, I should have checked.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hello,
            It is not quite as simple as you state: the setup from a boot-up finally tells the user that to upgrade you must start the current operating system and go from there.

It does _not_ state that it is a 64-bit executable. There is in fact no reason why it should be, given that it could easily progress to the 64-bit installation in the algorithm it uses. If there was a real upgrade route, then it couldn't be anything other than a 32-bit setup.exe.

Secondly, having read the pages referenced below, it would seem that one cannot upgrade properly: Office needs to be reinstalled along with all other programmes, and one has to back up all of one's data. The latter I have done, but the convoluted statements on the two pages make it obvious that a clean install is preferable in all instances.

Also, given that it does state on one of the pages that Sorinso mentions that one can upgrade from XP Pro 32 to Vista 64 Ultimate, I am now downloading that from TechNet, and will see, later, if it works.

Finally, I can confirm that I am using XP Pro SP3 32-bit on the box in question.

Paul
            Last edited by dickins_paul; 5th August 2008, 15:06. Reason: addition

Comment

Isn't this what you are looking for (from Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista ):
              Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on a computer that is running a 32-bit version of Windows XP or of Windows 2000

Most Windows XP and Windows 2000 users have the 32-bit version of these operating systems. For example, Windows 2000, Windows XP Home, Windows Tablet Edition and Windows Media Center Edition only come in 32-bit versions. For these operating systems, there is no upgrade installation path available when you upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system. However, you can perform a custom installation that uses an upgrade license.

After you purchase a Windows Vista DVD, follow these steps:
              1.Back up all the data and the settings by using Windows XP Backup.

Note You can also use Windows Easy Transfer. This back up program is available on the Windows Vista DVD. However, you must use the version that is on the 32-bit Windows Vista DVD if you want to use Windows Easy Transfer to back up a 32-bit version of Windows.
              2.Insert the 64-bit version of Windows Vista into the system DVD drive, and then restart the computer.3.Start Windows Vista Setup from the DVD when you are prompted.

Note You must start Windows Vista Setup by starting the computer from the Windows Vista 64-bit DVD. The installation package will not run on a 32-bit operating system.
              4.When you are prompted during Windows Vista Setup, remember to select Custom as the installation type. 5.After installation is complete, you can restore the data from its backup location.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Hello,
                Yes, I have been going through the pages on Microsoft's site, and it seems that I shall have to do a clean install. No 32-bit to 64-bit option at all, although some pages are unclear when giving options.

This means that I shall have to move several programmes to another computer permanently, including Outlook, which itself has caused me days of pain.

Thanks for your help.
                Regards,
                Paul

Comment

Cool, I'm glad you found the solution.
                  Given the amount of work, is the upgrade to the 64bit version worthwhile?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Hello,
                    I have been looking at the motherboard manual: it is not clear whether it will, in fact, show all the memory, which is currently 4GB. That, to me, is a clear warning not to bother. It states that there is a southbridge anomaly when all four slots are used and 64-bit is enabled.

After all, if I do a clean install of Ultimate 64-bit, and it won't show the maximum for this board, what is the point? A friend has just bought, for his home use, an HP that comes with 8GB RAM and 64-bit Vista for just over CA$1,000.

The implication is that I should leave Outlook running fine on this machine, which is running XP Pro SP3, and go buy a box which I know will run/have 64-bit Vista, or Windows 2008 Server 64-bit (running as a workstation, which is eminently feasible).

To conclude, as much as I would like to, I think I'll leave well enough alone with this white box.
                    Regards,
                    Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X