Multiple Booting Licencing Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Booting Licencing Question

I want to have XP Pro, vista ultimate 32bit and ultimate 64bit on the same pc so I have some questions.

First: I have the vista ultimate fpp (2dvds, one dvd with 32bit version and the other with the 64bit). Can I active both versions or not? As you know I got only one serial.

2nd: I would first install xp, then vista (32bit then the 64bit version). Do I need to install the 32bit version and then the 64bit or is this irrelevant?

I will create 3 partitions.

thx again
    Last edited by mtosev; 8th July 2008, 23:08.
    FB:

"http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=659770093"

Re: Multiple Booting Licencing Question

If the activation will fail I got a temporary solution.

Here it is:

However, the Redmond Company also permits users to rearm Windows Vista. Rearming the operating system means that by the end of the Initial Grace, the users can return the activation timer to zero and benefit from another 30 days of testing. This can be done via the Software Licensing ManaGeR integrated into Windows Vista.

"Initial Grace (or OOB Grace) starts the first time you start your computer after you install the operating system. It provides 30 days for the computer to be activated. The Initial Grace period can only be restarted by running sysprep /generalize, or by using slmgr.vbs –rearm. These processes reset the Initial Grace timer to 30 days. This will only work three times," reveals Microsoft.

In order to rearm Windows Vista, you simply have to enter slmgr.vbs –rearm in the command prompt window.
    FB:

Comment

TOSEVSKI<<MARKO<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<:

What's up with including a scan of your ID card in your signature block??? Not a smart move in this cyber age.

You have 2 different issues at play in this thread: multi-booting and licensing.

Let's pick the easier of the 2 -- licensing. Even in Solvenia you know better than to ask this question. I've worked there so I know how creative Solvenians can be with concepts like licensing. Your second post w/ 3x30 days confirms you understand too. So pick a version -- 32 or 64 bit -- and stick with it.

On your second issue: multi-booting. Given you have so many interests, you should consider virtualization and/or a bona-fide multi-boot solution like BootMagic. Microsoft's multi-boot is a weak solution at best. If you must then oldest to newest (as you've stated) is the usual approach.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

The problem is that 32bit Oses can't use 4gb of ram. 64bit vista can use 4gb but there are a lot of problems with getting navite 64bit drivers and lot of problems with running navite 32bit apps. An example is DELL. I have a DELL Inspiron 1520 6464 and Dell didnl't publish any 64bit drivers but only 32bit ones.

If I could use 4gb of ram I would stick with vista 32bit.
        FB:

Comment

Depending on your BIOS, Vista SP1 (32 bit) will pick up 4Gb (pre SP1 it maxed out at c. 3.3Gb)
          This is on Toshiba and Motion laptops but I presume others will also work
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Depending on your BIOS, Vista SP1 (32 bit) will pick up 4Gb (pre SP1 it maxed out at c. 3.3Gb)
            MSI EX700. 64bit hardware with 32bit software. Detects and recognises 4GB DDR but the O/S (XP Pro SP3) will see 3.25GB (no surprises there). XP 64bit uses all 4GB as does Vista 64bit but along with Vista 32bit there are many problems with driver and software issues. So, I went back to 32bit XP. Would much prefer Vista 64 on this machine as it ran real nice and quick.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm skating on the edge of being with this...

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              In my household, 4GB of physical RAM in a Vista SP1 32 bit laptop still only shows up as 3.32GB.

How did you cajole yours to see all 4GB? Does it have to be a clean installation with slipstreamed media? Or is it entirely dependant on the BIOS? Hrrmmm...
              Last edited by Nonapeptide; 25th July 2008, 01:47.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

If I'm not mistaken it has to do with hot swap RAM. If your system supports hot swap RAM then the OS will not see all 4GB.

Comment

How can Windows see/use 4gb of ram ? I read that that's a 32bit limitation???? (true that I read that a while ago).

Also I will use Vista ultimate on a desktop. Intel X38 (Asus mobo). Can someone confirm that this will work?

by the way:

Asus posted this: "When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended."
                  FB:

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                    I'm skating on the edge of being with this...

In my household, 4GB of physical RAM in a Vista SP1 32 bit laptop still only shows up as 3.32GB.

How did you cajole yours to see all 4GB? Does it have to be a clean installation with slipstreamed media? Or is it entirely dependant on the BIOS? Hrrmmm...
                    I am pushing it off the track completely ....

On 32-bit Operating System PAE (Physical Address Extension) is disabled by default. In certain OSes though (the ones that support Hot-add memory) PAE is automatically enabled by windows.

To enable 32-bit OS to support 4Gb of physical memory or more you could try the following:
                    From the cmd prompt run: BCDEdit /set PAE forceenable
                    That way you will enable PAE so that windows can support more than 4GB of memory.

Now, I haven't had the privilege to get my hands on a system with 4GB yet so I can't tell you if it works for sure but at least in theory it does.

This will give you more info on the Boot Configuration Editor :http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa906211.aspx

Let us know how you get on.

Ta
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by mtosev View Post
                      How can Windows see/use 4gb of ram ? I read that that's a 32bit limitation???? (true that I read that a while ago).
                      Well, it works:
                      Dont know why SP1 made a difference, but both my laptops and desktop show 4Gb usable (no bios updates either)
                      Attached Files
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

FWIW, here's a good article on this whole "32bit OS and 4GB of memory" debacle: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html

Quite a lively series of comments after the article. In fact, I think the comments are better than the article.

EDIT: Official Microsoft word on the topic: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605
                        Last edited by Nonapeptide; 25th July 2008, 20:20.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                        -------------------------------
                        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
                        X