Speed Up Windows Vista Boot Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Up Windows Vista Boot Time

Received this from Paul Levestam, a Melbourne SBS User Group member and thought it worthy of passing on. Thanks Paul.

Originally posted by Paul Levestam
    When you have a computer with a recent model CPU, chances are it's a dual-core CPU. Both Intel & AMD have been producing dual core CPU's for a few years now. By default, Windows Vista will only use a single core during boot-up. You can easily change this from the System Configuration utility:
    1. In Vista's Start Search type msconfig & hit the [Enter] key on your keyboard
    2. Once System Configuration has started, select the Boot tab and click the Advanced Options button
    3. Check the Number of processors check box, and choose 2 for the number of processors.
    4. Click OK twice.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vista-dual-cpu-boot.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	467946
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Speed Up Windows Vista Boot Time

Same applies for quad core, except, of course, setting it to use all 4 cores....
    sigpic

Comment

Well done, BigB !!
      I tested the issue on my office computer (with a rating of 3.1, see the attached screenshot).
      The times were like this:
      - original set-up: 55 seconds until the Ctrl+Alt+Del message showed up, 2:35 until the gadgets showed on the Sidebar;
      - after the change: 50 seconds until the Ctrl+Alt+Del message showed up, 1:38 (!!) until the gadgets showed on the Sidebar.

I think this thread should be made sticky...
      Attached Files

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Same setting is present in Server 2008 -- will test it out
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Its sad to know that MS did this single core boot up by default although they would have known that most users would have at least a dual core CPU by the time vista was released........

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Received this from Paul Levestam, a Melbourne SBS User Group member and thought it worthy of passing on. Thanks Paul.

[ATTACH]2232[/ATTACH]
            Nice one.

I'll try this when i get home.

Comment

I just reinstalled last night (Vista Ultimate x64 upgrade - thank goodness my originally purchased Upgrade key works for both 32bit, which I was using previously on my P4, and 64bit, which I am now using on my new Quad Core machine). Since I haven't made the changes yet in MSCONFIG I'll try to give a benchmark in a couple of area and see how much of a difference it makes.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                Well done, BigB !!
                I tested the issue on my office computer (with a rating of 3.1, see the attached screenshot).
                The times were like this:
                - original set-up: 55 seconds until the Ctrl+Alt+Del message showed up, 2:35 until the gadgets showed on the Sidebar;
                - after the change: 50 seconds until the Ctrl+Alt+Del message showed up, 1:38 (!!) until the gadgets showed on the Sidebar.

I think this thread should be made sticky...
                Nice feedback Sorin. That is quite a difference!! Can you share with us the CPU, speed, RAM and video adapter? An Intel/AMD run off might make for some interesting reading.

JohnlGalt, are you able to do something similar with your Quad core?

Server 2008 would be interesting to see the difference on that as well.

As for MS making this single core the default, maybe if they made dual core the default it would have caused all sorts of problems with the mulititude of users who still have single core CPUs. Not everyone has a dual core and there are a great number of Hyperthread processors out there that it may not work on.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yeah, with MSCONFIG you're able to set the number of processors you have installed - with my machine I can set that to 4 in MSCONFIG.

Unfortunately, I am watching the NBA Finals right now, so it'll be later tonight or tomorrow before I can post benches.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    Can you share with us the CPU, speed, RAM and video adapter?
                    Your wish is my command
                    See the attached screenshot.
                    Attached Files

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Thanks for the tip, seems to be a noticeable difference on my laptop with the second core enabled...

Comment

Thanks Sorin. That is a substantial difference considering the hardware you have. Got some new Vista machine I am rolling out in the next few weeks. Will definately do time trials on them and post back. They are using 64bit AMDs but I don't know if the O/S is 32 or 64bit.

Now the results from a Quad Core, unenabled and enabled times would be real interesting.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the tip . I'm using the Quad 2 and I am up and running less than a minut (55 seconds) . MY comp rate is 4.7
                          Last edited by fredharvey; 22nd June 2008, 12:41.

Comment

I reinstalled from scratch, and have overclocked my C2Q6600 to 1500 FSB (3.375 GHz) - I honestly did not see *that8 much of an improvement, at first, but when I compared the numbers I realized what was different - a couple of things loading were killing my boot time.

I shaved about 30 seconds from the total boot time, and the majority of it was the initial load (prior to login), so I would say there is a definite improvement.
                            sigpic

Comment

This is very nice
                              thank you for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                              X