Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple booting question

hi,

i tried to had Win98,2000,xp,2003 as my multiple boot. started with win98 but when it came to "installing hardware compnents' part with some 8 mins remaining it showed this 'your multi-funtional device (Standard Dual PC IDE controller) has some child device using 32-bit drivers and other using compatibility mode drivers. This configuration is not supported, so your computer has been halted to prevent corruption"

i m having 160GB SATA HD,AMD athlon dual core

then i had win2000, XP & server 2003 running successfully as my multiple boot option installed on different drive. with drive C as my active partition having win2000 in it.

i tried to install vista with DVD ROM as 1st boot device but it kept showing error some file/driver missing windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys

i tried to install vista after booting with XP. installation started but after copying files PC restarted n then nothing happened...blank screen, not even the multiple boot options anymore.

i reformatted my HD, installed XP & then successfully installed Vista but then i installed win2000 & woof! Vista was gone from boot option though the files were there in the drive but now i had XP & 2000 as boot option.

is it possible to have all 4 as multiple boot option? if yes then whats the proper order of installation? if no then which all Windows OS can co-exist with Vista as part of multiple boot.

have few more queries regarding multiple booting with linux but later in other section

looking forward to answers,
    regards.

Re: multiple booting question

In general you want to install "oldest first" so, in your case:
    98, then 2000, then XP, then Vista

Vista will give you a "boot older OS" option which should let you into the previous ones.

Your other option (assuming enough RAM) is Virtual PCs on a Vista base machine
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You could also look at a third party boot manager like BootMagic. It has its warts but has been successful for me w/ different versions of Windows and LINUX:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=15915

You should consider virtualizing if you have the RAM. I'm in that process now. Trying VMWare Server 2.0 Beta as it offers USB 2.0 and good LINUX support.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        In general you want to install "oldest first" so, in your case:
        98, then 2000, then XP, then Vista

Vista will give you a "boot older OS" option which should let you into the previous ones.

Your other option (assuming enough RAM) is Virtual PCs on a Vista base machine

tnx for ur reply. i tried the same but when i tried to install vista it somehow corrupted my boot order, infact it wont allow to boot after the "copying files" restart what is the problem there? & when i tried to boot from vista DVD when i have 2000,xp,2003 as my multiple boot it gave the error error some file/driver missing windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys

so i formatted, installed XP, run the vista DVD after booting from XO & it got installed

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
          You could also look at a third party boot manager like BootMagic. It has its warts but has been successful for me w/ different versions of Windows and LINUX:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=15915

You should consider virtualizing if you have the RAM. I'm in that process now. Trying VMWare Server 2.0 Beta as it offers USB 2.0 and good LINUX support.
          tnx star for ur reply.

i wanted to have 98,2000,xp,2003,vista,linux,solaris 10 as my multiple boot just a dream boot of mine have been working on it for past few days.

have 0 knowledge on linux & solaris so wanted to try it by myself. forget solaris for now, just wanted to learn linux.

is it possible to have mandriva, ubuntu,pclinux & knopixx along side xp,vista,2003 as my multiple boot?

i successfully had dual boot of xp & ubuntu. but when i installed mandriva, my ubuntu was replaced by mandriva so i had xp & madriva now as my dual boot.

dont have any knowledge about lilo,grub n all that. can i help me or provide with helpfull link to help me multi boot different linux os n have xp,vista if not other windows os?

pls pls plssssssssssss help me man, i wanna get accustom to linux & its lingo.

regards.

Comment

Seriously, have you looked at virtualisation. It makes life so much easier and allows you to run multiple VMs at the same time.

What is your hardware?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Seriously, have you looked at virtualisation. It makes life so much easier and allows you to run multiple VMs at the same time.

What is your hardware?

yah, have heard about virtualizing, seems to be latest, never tried it. will get hold of it. which is the best vmware? but without that?

mine is Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
              Memory: 1Gb
              Hard disk: 160GB

tnx.

Comment

You need more memory. 1GB is not enough for Vista in a non virtual environment. Put as much as you can on the motherboard. 2GB would be good, 3GB even better.

Use XP as the Host Operating System (uses less resources) and then create virtual installs of everything you want to play with. Make copies of the original virtual machines so if you stuff them up you can quickly have them back up and running. If you run out of HDD space they can be copied to the new drive. If you change your hardware then the virtual machines can be put onto the changed machine as the virtuals are not hardware dependent.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yup - according to AnandTech Vista really needs 3 GB of RAM - it can make do in 2, though.

For anything above three, you'll also want to look at running 64bit if at all possible - else, you'll not be able to use all the RAM at 3 GB or above.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X