Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error while backing up across network

Everyone,

I am hoping someone here can help me. I have been ing the heck out of this one and I'm coming up dry.

I will start with my infrastructure. I have a vista client connected to a 2k3 server. All on the same domain and subnet. The server has a WD USB external HD plugged into it. The external HD has a folder on it that is shared called backups.

I have the Vista client setup to backup to the shared folder on the servers external HD, but I am not having any success backing up to it. The backup on the client prepares the files for backup, backs them up, copies them thru the network to the file share (where I can see them in the backup folder on the ext. HD) but then gives me an error saying "The specified netwrok name is no longer available error code 0x80070040".

As I said some, but not all of the files are making it over to the external drive. Also, it should be noted that this process takes only about 5 minutes before it crashes and the drive to be backed up has about 200 gig of stuff on it. So not everything is being copied before it crashes.

I can backup to the servers local drive, however, that drive is much smaller than the vista clients. Thus I cannot complete the backup solely due to a space issue. If I plug the external HD into the client it will backup just fine.

I have checked the permissions of the share folder and I have checked the logs of my firewall to ensure that I am not blocking a port the backup needs. Both seem to be fine.

Is there something wrong with backing up across the network to an external HD? What am I missing?

Thanks.

Re: Error while backing up across network

I had a similar problem some time ago. I have a server who is using a shared folder on a NAS machine as storage. I tried to backup from my backup server that folder, through the server itself. At some point it failed. I called the backup software's support and they told me it's because of the latency on the network that the backup fails. I started to backup the files directly form the NAS and never had any problems since.
    I think that this is your problem here. The backup cannot wait for the data to be written through the USB (is it USB1 or USB1.1, by any chance?). Is there any other USB device on the same bus?
    Can you write the backup onto an internal disk and then schedule the server to move it to the external disk? It might solve you the issue...
    Let us know the outcome ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks for the reply sorinso. In my mind that is kind of what I was thinking that the drive was not keeping up to the satisfaction of Vista. Unfortunately the server only has an 80 gig drive in it and the client has a 250 gig drive so no way to make it fit.

I can't be positive the drive is currently connected to a usb 2 port so I will check that and see if I can try a different port to get on its own bus.

Ill keep you posted

Comment

Cool.
        BTW, it's hard for me to believe that the issue is Vista-related. For me it happened with 2003 Server and Linux.
        You may want to try and split the backup in smaller chunks, to fit into that 80GB disk...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

This weekend I ended up just plugging the external drive right into the client to do the backup and just have it done. Now that everything is safe I will try again to do the backup thru the server.

I will take all the suggestions above into consideration and write back when I have some answers.

Thanks!

Comment

I too think itz to do with the latency of the network. This is likely to do with network timeouts and big files that don't make it accross in time to the WD HD in time.

Try copying over smaller files first and then do bigger ones individually. Is the backup stopping at a specific file? Is it large? (500mb+)

Comment

If your not worried about power issues during backup the try enabling write caching on the USB drive. It will be off by default for USB.
              Stacey Smith
              Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Comment

In lieu of a true solution, you may want to use RoboCopy with the /Z switch. That allows you to restart an interrupted copy. RoboCopy is included in Vista. read the 'man' page for more info.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
                X