Unable to Access URL in Vista but not in XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to Access URL in Vista but not in XP

My grandson was unable to access the Web Site "www.snotling.org" on his Vista equipped laptop or on his XP equipped desktop.

All other URL'S tried accessed normally.

To check whether there was a problem peculiar to this URL address only , he asked me to attempt to contact this site on my desktop and laptop , both of which have XP installed.

The site accessed OK using my machines.

This may be a Vista or , perhaps , an XP problem but it seems strange that it only happens with his Web connections and not on mine .

Can anyone suggest a solution ?

Re: Unable to Access URL in Vista but not in XP

Are you sharing an Internet connection?

Have him try an NSLOOKUP on his machine to see if DNS knows about that site or not.

I doubt this is a Vista problem...
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

If you and your son do not use the same internet service, it is possible that there is a DNS issue. Your DNS servers may resolve the site while his may not.

It is possible that the site changed servers or IP's and maybe the DNS changes didn't show on his DNS server but they did on yours.

Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
        Are you sharing an Internet connection?

No we're not.

Have him try an NSLOOKUP on his machine to see if DNS knows about that site or not.

Will do.

I doubt this is a Vista problem...
        I don't think so either - particularly as his XP desktop has the same problem - but I couldn't decide whether I should put this post into the XP or the Vista section as it occurred on both his machines .

Comment

Originally posted by southbound View Post
          If you and your son do not use the same internet service, it is possible that there is a DNS issue. Your DNS servers may resolve the site while his may not.

It is possible that the site changed servers or IP's and maybe the DNS changes didn't show on his DNS server but they did on yours.

Just a thought...
          Thanks- will wait to see what NSLOOKUP says as suggested by Lior_S

Comment

Working...
          X