Vista Aero Interface Impacting Battery Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Aero Interface Impacting Battery Life

Just to say daniel petri, i read your post about why you think aero is bad, and noticed that you said it drained battery life. I have both xp and vista on my laptop (dual boot), and i have a longer battery life in vista with aero running than i do in xp. XP gives me about 1 1/2 hours battery, whereas vista with aero gives me 2 1/2 hours, plus runs faster in battery mode than xp.

Re: Vista Aero Interface Impacting Battery Life

Maybe because Vista has better power saving features? Did you test with Aero off as well to see if there was a difference compared to it being on?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Also to make it consistent, make sure you perform the same actions in both OS's i.e. leave it idle untill the battery runs out of just browse internet etc.

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Also I read that its aero that causes the memory to further reduce after boot. Daniel is wrong to blame it on aero, as it is superfetch that is using it. (Which is a good thing).

Comment

I haven't done any testing myself so can only make assumptions so can you post your source?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by cbulmer View Post
            Also I read that its aero that causes the memory to further reduce after boot. Daniel is wrong to blame it on aero, as it is superfetch that is using it. (Which is a good thing).
            How can Daniel be wrong to blame Aero when Aero is clearly using resources that will require more power, ergo, battery.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It seems that I am not the only one saying that:

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...tery-life.aspx

And the tool people are using to maximize the battery power in Vista:

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/t...ry-useful.aspx
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by cbulmer View Post
                Just to say daniel petri, i read your post about why you think aero is bad, and noticed that you said it drained battery life. I have both xp and vista on my laptop (dual boot), and i have a longer battery life in vista with aero running than i do in xp. XP gives me about 1 1/2 hours battery, whereas vista with aero gives me 2 1/2 hours, plus runs faster in battery mode than xp.
                I am amazed at your scientific proof ! Using Aero on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OS than the one you're not using aero on provides better battery life..who would've thought?

PS: On the toshiba laptop I used to have, Vista had MUCH greater battery life than XP. It has much better power management for some boards out there.

And yes, superfetch might fill up up the ram, so does that mean Aero doesn't?

Or maybe you're just trolling...
                Last edited by gepeto; 13th May 2008, 14:04. Reason: Super-f-e-t-c-h
                VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Originally posted by gepeto View Post
                  I am amazed at your scientific proof ! Using Aero on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OS than the one you're not using aero on provides better battery life..who would've thought?

PS: On the toshiba laptop I used to have, Vista had MUCH greater battery life than XP. It has much better power management for some boards out there.

And yes, superfecth might fill up up the ram, so does that mean Aero doesn't?

Or maybe you're just trolling...
                  Gepeto is right -- this is all down to first principals and scientific method where you must have a control group and an experimental group from which you alter one variable at a time
                  Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

To put it more succinctly, you need to compare Apples to Apples and Oranges to Oranges. when comparing 2 different laptops with 2 different OSs, you're not taking into account 1) The capabilities of the OSs, 2) The capabilities of the *hardware*, and 3) The quite possible difference in the *batteries* themselves (which could be lumped together as hardware, but I consider it a separate issue since even 2 identical laptops may have different batteries based upon what OS is installed - probably not very likely, but they *can*.....)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      How can Daniel be wrong to blame Aero when Aero is clearly using resources that will require more power, ergo, battery.
                      When you use AERO the cpu save cycles by using the GPU from the graphic cards. This translates in better battery life. Add to this, the Vista have more agressive power managment features to save battery life. I believe a Vista Lap can work more longer with the battery than XP.

And you can notice this if you see DVDs or use CAD....

Regards

Alex
                      mcp mcsa mcse a+ cst
                      hpsan hpcz

Comment

And you're saying that CPU cycles use more power than CPU cycles?
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X