Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot copy to memory device (mmc, usb stick)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot copy to memory device (mmc, usb stick)

Hi all,

I have a strange problem. I cannot consistently use external memory devices, whether USB sticks or MMC cards. Only SD cards so far have always worked.
    The device is recognized (it is a built in reader on a HP laptop) and vista says it is functioning properly. Devices can always be formatted.

Copying files to the device(s) often results in windows getting stuck at copying, with no activity on the led of the card reader, or a stuck on led (especially for USB sticks). This happens equally when copying 1 large file or several small files. I have had mixed results using xcopy from a CLI shell (sometimes I succeeded, sometimes I didn't). I even tried using a fresh vista profile, but the behaviour is the same.

The card themeselves are healthy. I can use them fine (R/W) on other systems.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,
    pecus

Re: Cannot copy to memory device (mmc, usb stick)

Sounds more like a hardware problem (with the laptop's card reader) than with Vista...
    What model is the laptop?
    And what version of Vista are you working with? Is it the OEM OS (that came with the laptop) or did you installed it later on?
    Any signs of trouble in the Event log?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

I had a client telling me about a similar thing today (or yesterday if you are reading this tomorrow). All USB devices worked, printer, camera, phone, all worked. USB Drives no work at all. They didn't look in Disk management to see if they were listed and just when the were going to blow it away and do a clean install, they all started working.

With just this info i would have guessed that an Update may have fixed the problem.

In addition to Sorins questions, is the laptop still as per factory install or have you added/ removed software, applications or devices?
      If O/S installed by you, have you installed all the necessary drivers, chipset especially?
      Have you installed SP1 and all other updates?
      Is this on a network with mapped drives?
      Is UAC enabled or disabled?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry for being late, and thanks for the suggestions. I tried disabling the antivirus but the problem is still there, so I am all for either an hardware problem or a troublesome driver. What bugs me is that *only copy operations* are affected (for instance, formatting cards or USB sticks works).

The laptop is a HP pavillion dv9017. I am using the OEM version of Vista Pro updated to Ultimate. This is still pre SP1 since Windows Update does not yet list it. All of the other updates have been installed. The event log does not show anything related to hardware or drivers problem. There are no logs of IDs when the explorer hangs copying (it's not just explorer: the system cannot finish shutting down when this happens).

I have of course added several applications and services, and all of the external devices installed, when necessary, their drivers.
        Before going the reinstall route (oh no!) I will try to uninstall the card-reader driver, clean the registry of references, and reinstall it. If anyone has hints to what registry keys store references to USB and external devices please let me know: I want Vista to completely forget about any drive or device it ever saw :-\

Last UAC is enabled but silent (TweakUAC) and there are no mapped network drive.

Thanks again,
        pecus

Comment

I found an article in HP's knowledgebase. See if it helps in any way ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            I found an article in HP's knowledgebase. See if it helps in any way ...
            Thanks Sorin, but it does not apply (there is no such key in my registry). I will do a full backup, restore to factory default and see if the card reader is working properly before trying to further isolate the problem.

Of course, if anyone can come up with suggestions, they are always welcome.

pecus

Comment

Odd...
              Anyway, I'll keep looking.
              Please keep the forum updated...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by pecus View Post
                Last UAC is enabled but silent (TweakUAC)
                pecus
                Just on the off chance, maybe try disabling TweakUAC?
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Have you installed SP1 recently?

I seen to recall an article about an issue with SP1 that kills USB ports. Try googling it. I would search for you but I'm on site at a client and I'm probably already breaking their AUP by browsing this site

** Edit - Ignore me, just realised that you said it was pre SP1. Going to leave this post here as it may help someone else **

Michael
                  Michael Armstrong
                  www.m80arm.co.uk
                  MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi all,

I have excluded a hardware problem by restoring the original state of the machine through the OEM recovery partition. Cards and sticks work ok, both writing a high number of small files as well as one big file.

I am now updating all system software and see if it still works.

Now, this is not *exactly* the system I was using. This is the OEM Vista Home Premium. I had performed an inplace upgrade to ultimate. I will repeat this step too and see if it keeps on working. I can always restore the fully installed machine trough a backup, but I might as well rebuild it from there. In any case, I had hoped these reinstalls would have gone away with Vista, but evidently it is not the case. One last chance would be to install SP1 and see if that fixes it.

Thanks to everyone for your support,
                    pecus/Matteo

Comment

That is a good point to start from.
                      What I do next is like this:
                      - contact the local HP representative and ask them for details (maybe they already are aware of the problem - this is what I planned to suggest you earlier, but ...);
                      - upgrade and install updates one by one, and after every installation, check the card reader. This way, you will be able to see at what point the device stops working. Then you can decide if you rollback that update, or struggle to make it work.

Good luck, and keep the forum updated.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                      X