Menu drop down box alignment change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Menu drop down box alignment change

I am using Vista ultimate without SP1. The menu boxes (the drop-down boxes containing menu items) are right aligned to the top menu item, not left as they used to be. Menu items themselves are correctly left aligned. This happens with every program. IE is used in the picture as an example.

It seems as if the system uses some oriental (right to left) setup for drop down menus. This behavior depends on username that is used to log in.

How to change menu drop down box alignment?
    Attached Files

Re: Menu drop down box alignment change

Has that user enabled the usage of Right-to-Left language services?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by johnlgalt View Post
      Has that user enabled the usage of Right-to-Left language services?
      This is not known. Not a slightest idea even how to do that. However, your answer opens a new path to explore. Thank you.

Comment

From Vista help:

Can I display right-to-left languages such as Hebrew and Arabic?

Yes, this version of Windows includes support for several right-to-left languages. Right-to-left languages are languages that are read starting from the right side of the screen or page instead of the left side. To edit documents in a language other than the default language, you must add the input language, and then change Windows to use it. For more information, see Add an input language. To view the user interface in a language other than the default language, you must install the display language, and then change Windows to use it. For more information, see Install a display language.
        That link leads to this:
        Install a display language

You can change the language Windows uses to display text in wizards, dialog boxes, menus, and other items in the user interface. Some display languages are installed by default; others require you to install additional language files.

Before you can install a display language, you need access to the language files. These files can be on your computer, on a computer on your network, or on your Windows DVD; or they can be downloaded from the web. For more information, see How do I get additional language files?

To install a Language Interface Pack (LIP), double-click the file to open the setup program. To install a Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI), follow these steps:
        1. ->Click to open Regional and Language Options.
        2. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.
        3. Under Display Language, click Install/uninstall languages, and then follow the steps. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note
          • The Display language section will only be visible if you have already installed a LIP or if your edition of Windows supports MUI. MUI packs are only available in Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Vista Enterprise.

After you install a display language, you need to set your computer to use that language. For more information, see Change the display language.
        And the final link leads to:

Change the display language

The display language is the language that Windows uses in wizards, dialog boxes, menus, Help and Support topics, and other items in the user interface. Some display languages are installed by default, and others require you to install additional language files. When you change the display language, it is changed for your user account and is not changed on the Welcome screen. If you want to set the display language for multiple users or the Welcome screen, see Apply regional and language settings to reserved accounts.
        1. ->Click to open Regional and Language Options.
        2. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.
        3. Under Display language, choose a language from the list, and then click OK.
        4. Note
          • If you don't see the list of display languages, you need to install additional language files first. For more information, see Install a display language.

When you change the display language, the text in menus and dialog boxes for some programs might not be in the language that you want. This happens because the program might not support Unicode. For more information about changing the text in menus and dialog boxes for programs that do not support Unicode, see Change the system locale.
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I checked and doublechecked it and came to resolution that there is only one language installed: Finnish.

I wonder if there are any registry keys that control these features.

Comment

I was sure I had the answer because I have seen that as an option on more than one computer running Vista, including my own (and I only install English as that is my default language)....

However, after reading your post, I went back and now cannot seem to get it to give me any attempt at enabling RTL configuration.

Only other thing I can think of - is the mouse set for a left handed person?
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you for trying to find the solution. The mouse is just normal right hand mouse.

By the way, yesterday Windows Update offered Service Pack 1 and I downloaded and installed it. No change at this problem.

Comment

Have you tried turning off Aero or maybe playing with the settings in Advanced System Settings and Performance?

None actually say but maybe turning the slide stuff off then on for example?

I know if you move a window too far to the right then try and open a menu that would open over the edge it flips to the left (although it does look slightly different).

Maybe also try comparing your settings in the registry between profiles that do and don't have the issue (only a guess but who knows).

HKEY_USERS\????SID\Control Panel\Desktop\ here?
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The solution has been found by a colleague of mine. It is embarrassing simple one. Just use the control panel and change Tablet PC settings and select what kind of behaviour you do want to have. Thanks Pekka.

I want also thank to johnlgalt and AndyJG247 who made great suggestions. Thank you both. This kind of co-operation is what makes this ever changing world tolerable By sharing knowledge we all keep on learning

However, I am still wondering what originally changed the settings. But who cares, now I do know how to change them back.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I am glad you solved this (pretty awkward) problem.
                    And a Thumbs-Up for updating the forum with the solution. Thank you.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Sorry for being away for so long - finals and a new PC build.

I never once thought that a Tablet PC would have differentiation for left handed and right handed writers, as I have never had one of those machines before, but I appreciate the info very much, as my father is going to be buying a notebook Tablet PC for his research, and now I have one more thing to make sure it is working correctly after he installs all of his language packs and whatnot.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X