How to configure DHCP + static IP in Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to configure DHCP + static IP in Vista

Your article helped me a lot to set up the network connection home, but I have trouble doing the same with a recently aquired laptop which has Vista Business 32bit edition as the OS - the registry keys are totally different.
    Do you have any tips/tricks how to set up Vista to use DHCP and a static IP at the same time?

Re: How to configure DHCP + static IP in Vista

This is a guess only, but I wonder if you have to manually create those keys, as the only keys that exist are DHCPIPaddress and DHCPSubnetMask, etc....
    sigpic

Comment

I've bin down that road already, but it did not work.

Comment

Here are the steps to Configuring a DSL Connection (DHCP) in Windows Vista -

1: Click on Blue Pearl.
        2: Click Network.
        3:Click Network and Share Center.
        4: Click Manage network connection from the left menu.
        5: Click Manage network connection from the left menu.
        6: Click Manage network connection from the left menu.
        7: Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically should be selected.
        Click Advanced.
        8: DHCP Enabled should be displayed in the IP Addresses section.

Default gateways should be empty.

Click the DNS tab.
        9: DNS server addresses should be empty.

Click the WINS tab
        10: WINS addresses should be empty.

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP should be selected.

Above are the steps that you need to pefrm and this will certainly take care of ur concern...BOB.

Comment

Carlos,

Sorry, I missed your reply - my computer had died during that point in time....

I went into one of my two NICs and added an alternate Static IP address to try to trace this down. I know there should be a way to add multiple manual static IP addresses via the registry, but I haven't figured it out yet. I will keep researching.
          sigpic

Comment

I configured an alternate on only one NIC - and now I have an entry under this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\D hcp\Configurations\Alternate_{6D8419F4-F562-45A9-A5A7-E4696C6316D7} (Again, your GUID will probably change, as mentioned in the tutorial) but it has a binary key designation and has a *lot* of hex codes that I haven't decoded yet.

Still, it is an improvement, because I am pretty positive that this was not present before, and my other NIC GUID does not have anything listed under Configurations - so I feel semi-confident that I am partially on the right track....

@admins - sorry for the double post - can you merge them and delete this line?

Anyway, another exciting thing - under the original key listed in Daniel's tutorial, there is now a reference to the key I mentioned above - a Key by the name of
            Code:
            ActiveConfigurations
            and with the value being
            Code:
            Alternate_{6D8419F4-F562-45A9-A5A7-E4696C6316D7}
            I cannot paste the actual value of that key...let me do a bit more research.
            Last edited by johnlgalt; 14th May 2008, 05:59.
            sigpic

Comment

Hello,

Sorry to rise this topic again, but have someone found a solution to this ?

I'm also trying to get running a dhcp + static ip on the same interface with windows vista, but no success yet.

It was working on xp with the registry trick or via x-setup pro ...

Help

Comment

I've tried stumbling with the registry keys but still haven't successed either, running windows 2008 (basically behaves the same way as Vista).

netsh interface ipv4 add address <interface> 10.0.0.7 255.255.255.0 does give me ip address 10.0.0.7 but I lose the DHCP ip even though I typed add.

Comment

Originally posted by Python1320 View Post
                  netsh interface ipv4 add address <interface> 10.0.0.7 255.255.255.0 does give me ip address 10.0.0.7 but I lose the DHCP ip even though I typed add.
                  Hi,

I also tried it, and yes it drops the dhcp configuration

I've looked at sub-interfaces things with netsh, but it doesn't seem to mean the same as a sub-interface on a cisco or on a linux box.

It just seems that we'll be stuck with this problem.

I thought about (finding/coding?) a custom dhcp client that would manage the dhcp part and add the dhcp address as a static ip... (so you can add another)

Comment

Working...
                  X