Vista Business- Open with programs not accessable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Business- Open with programs not accessable

I have only just set up a new PC which came with Vista Business, and I cannot access certain installed programs through the Open With settings. The programs have been istalled and are visible in windows explorer Program Files but do not show up in the Open With window. How do I place them into this window so that I can access my files.
    Any advice is appreciated and I am gratefull to have found a mature and sensible forum.

Re: Vista Business- Open with programs not accessable

Let me get this straight: your problem is that the program you want to open the file with is not listed in the applications' list?
    When you get the "Open with..." menu, the last line is "Choose Default Program..." You get another window, with two lists: "Recommended Programs" and "Other Programs".
    If your application is not listed in the "Other Programs" section (or even nothing is shown there), click the "Browse" button on the lower part of the window. From there, choose your EXE file and click the Open button.
    WARNING: if the application you choose is a one-timer, or from any reason, you don't want it to be the default application, you have to uncheck the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file " checkbox.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thank you for your quick relply. I have done everything you have recommended however, after selecting the exe. file it still does not appear in the Open With window for me to open the file with. This is what I cannot understand as the program is installed correctly and does appear in my hard drive's program files!

Jen

Comment

I didn't get it.
        You choose an EXE to open your file with, and it doesn't open it?
        Can you be more specific about what file and what application are you working with?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Hi Sorinso,

I have created a psd file which I saved as an esp. in attepting to open it I needed to go through the Open With window which did not load in the Photo shop program even though the program is correctly installed and showing up clearly within my program installations. When I select the psd.exe file it refuses to be placed within the accessable open with selections. I truly do not know why, this is the first time I have encountered this problem.

I hope this explanation was clearer? any other suggestions?

Jen: still confused:

Comment

Hmmmmm.
            What happens when you open Photoshop and try to load the file in it? Not by double-clicking the file...
            What you describe usually happens when you save a file without an extension, so Windows cannot associate an application to it. Are you sure the file has an extension? Can you open it in Photoshop and save it again?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Also, jpc, did you mean .eps instead of .esp? If you actually saved it as an .esp file Vista may not have saved the file extension (and related start with) info in the registry as it is not a recognized file type....

Hmmm, scratch that - I just created a file called test.esp, then tried to 'open it' with WinPatrol - of course, it failed to open, but the next time I tried to open it when I got to the list the 'recommended' program was, in fact, WinPatrol - which had never been in the list previously.

So, my next question - did you create 1 file as an EPS and another as an ESP?
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X