Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pblems trying to write a message on owa interface

Hello

I usually connect via internet to my owa server to read my messages.When i try to reply a message , the text box(the place i intend to write my message) is unaviable.I can write in the subject and address boxes.At the top of the he text box i see a small and red X.Any idea?Security issues?Actice x.

I use a vista home premium edition.

Thanks

Re: pblems trying to write a message on owa interface

I have seen this if there is a certificate error -- do you see a red title bar in Internet Explorer?

What sort of server are you connecting to -- is it Small Business with a self generated certificate?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, i do see the red certification bar but ususally i work normally .I can't only reply or write new messages.

I connect to an exchange 2003 server

Comment

Do you know where the Exchange server gets its certificate from -- is it from a public certification authority like GoDaddy or is it "self issued"
        If you aren't sure, ask your system administrator
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i had this problem one time. seems that an patch updated some of the files in the exchweb directory on the FE. well, the patch wasnt applied to the BE, and until i did and the folder versions (6.5.7651.60) matched, it gave me the red X.

seems that when an absolute reference isnt there in OWA, it displays the X.

sorry if that doesnt help you.
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Hello
            The certification is self issued.

Comment

My univ and the one my dad works at has this problem a lot - seems that, in this case, there is a particular security update (I believe it is some sort of S/MIME update) that needs to be applied to the machine that is using OWA to access the exchange mail for it to run - I had to run it at home on 2 XP boxes and 2 Vista boxes, and I got the tip from one of the IT 'gofers' that visited my Dad in his office one day when I was there.

Since then I have had no problems with the unable to use the body section of the email for replying, unless the machine I am on does not automatically allow ActiveX to run - then I get it again until I allow ActiveX for the site and close and re-open the reply.

This *may* not be applicable, but just in case, here is how I got it to stop hounding my home boxes:

1) Log in to OWA, then click on the options 'button' in the nav panel.

2) Scroll down to E-mail Security, where there *should* be a button to Download the 'latest version of the S/MIME Control."

3) Depending upon your version of IE, you may get the open button as an option when the dialog box pops up, or you may only get a save dialog (from home on Vista and IE 7, I got only a save button, whereas on the machines at the Univ. there was an open, allowing it to install right then and there).

4) If you have to save ti, save it and then run the downloaded file.

5) After doing all that, log out of OWA, then close your browser.

6) Now, restart your browser, log in to OWA, and go back to the same options page - under E-Mail security you should not have 2 new options, "Encrypt contents and attachments for outgoing messages" and "Add a digital signature to outgoing messages", and the button should now say Re-install
              (NOTE: If you are on Vista, you may need to run IE as an administrator at least once in order to allow the S/MIME control to update your certificates.)

Again, this may not help you at all - but your symptoms match exactly those I was experiencing, and this was the solution applicable to me.
              Last edited by johnlgalt; 3rd March 2008, 01:28. Reason: put steps in list form for easier readability
              sigpic

Comment

Hi John
                Thank you so much.It really works after your explanation."So simple".....

Natan

Comment

You're very welcome.

RE: being simple, well, it was easy to explain b/c 1) I just recently encountered the problem (back in December, then Jan at my Dad's office, talking to the IT staff member), 2) The folks at the University IT dept know of the problem, and it's solution, and the staff member in my father's office walked me through the process so I could do it at my father's home computer, and 3) I had to run through the entire process myself as I was typing to you - I had forgotten that I had re-installed Vista earlier this month, and thus I was in need of the 'fix' again on my personal machine.

At any rate, glad it worked!

For future reference, this may occur again - and you'll have to do it again - even if you have *not* reinstalled.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X