No announcement yet.

Vista SP1 is now RTM

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista SP1 is now RTM

Almost exactly one year since the first release of Windows Vista to the market in 2007, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) was released to manufacturing (RTM) today and will start being available to customers in March, starting with Microsoft Volume Licensing customers.

Here's the timing for SP1 availability for current Windows Vista users:

In mid-March, Microsoft will release Windows Vista SP1 to Windows Update (in English, French, Spanish, German and Japanese) and to the download center on Customers who visit Windows Update can choose to install Service Pack 1. If Windows Update determines that the system has one of the drivers that has been identified to be problematic, then Windows Update will not offer SP1. Since Microsoft assumes that some customers may want to update to SP1 anyhow, the download center will allow anyone who wants to install SP1 to do so.

In mid-April, Microsoft will begin delivering Windows Vista SP1 to Windows Vista customers who have chosen to have updates downloaded automatically. That said, any system that Windows Update determines has a driver known to not update successfully will not get SP1 automatically. As updates for these drivers become available, they will be installed automatically by Windows Update, which will unblock these systems from getting Service Pack 1. The result is that more and more systems will automatically get SP1, but only when we are confident they will have a good experience.

The remaining languages will RTM in April.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

Re: Vista SP1 is now RTM

I am actually kind of worried about this. I tried the SP1 RC1 in Nov and it slowed my system down terribly. Specifically, it slowed boot and shutdown times to interminable long sessions. I have noGUI boot turned on because I like to see what is being loaded, and it would literally load each item one line at a time, and when the screen was full of lines, each line would feed up one line, taking 1-2 seconds to feed, so that the screen would update around every 30-50 seconds with a new system file. At that rate my system took over 10 minutes to build.

The worst part was that both times I tried the SP1 release, I also downloaded the reporting tool - which would never start, ending with some sort of failure.

I plan on testing the SP1 when I can on a Virtual device first to see if it makes a difference - and will have my system backup ready just in case.