Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninstalling Vista... Install XPpro

Greetings...

I am the technical administrator (if you could call me that) for a small private school. I purchased 6 new laptops for the students that have vista home installed. Before buying them I knew Vista was not going to work for our environment as it is too overloaded in many ways for 3rd through 7th graders to learn the basics on. But the deal was good so I figured I would uninstall Vista and install XPpro since the kids are used to that and we have a networked domain. I read up on the subject and I also knew it was a tedious process to downgrade and I was ready to slipstream the XP cd to get the hard drive to work. I did the slipstream and got it to install but after the complete process, as it boots for the first time, I get a stop screen for a split second and it goes into the continual loop of shutdown and restart at the blue screen. There is an even shorter moment before the stop screen that says "invalid boot.ini" I have repeated this process on 3 different laptops now to see if it is an individual issue or not... same thing.

I can't, or don't know how to check the files since it will not allow the repair console or safe mode or command prompt. Also, I don't know how to get other needed drivers that come from HP into the computer unless I can boot into XP.

Here's what I have:

HP Pavillon dv6000 Laptop
    Vista Home
    iaStor HD driver slipped into the install using
    XP Pro sp2 CD with full legal license

I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thank you for your time.

MartinT

Re: Uninstalling Vista... Install XPpro

XP drivers, you will need to refine the laptop model to get the correct ones. http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Looku...x=9&submit.y=6

How did you install XP? Did you completely delete the existing partition or did you install it on the existing Vista one and also leave the Recovery Partition intact?

FYI. Vista also likes to crash educational apps that have a bit of Flash in them. Another reason why Vista is not suitable in our environment. Maybe a future SP will fix this problem.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, I completely deleted the partitions and reformatted the drive. I'll check out the site you suggest. Thanks...

mt

Comment

The Reason you are getting the boot.ini error is The Windows Vista Boot Loader has not been deleted from the MBR.

What you can do you delete the MBR is:

1 Boot from the Windows XP CD
        2 Choose "R" and enter "Recovery Console"
        3 Run "Fixmbr" this will overite the Mast boot Record.
        4 Run "Fixboot"
        5 Restart Pc and Run the Windows XP Install

Let me know if this helps

Thanks
        Daniel

Comment

Gosh, I wish it were that simple... It won't allow me to use the recovery console...
          That has really surprised me. I'll remember that though...

m

I should probably be a little more clear... When I boot with the original XP cd, after pressing "r" it says it cannot find a hard drive and cannot continue. When I boot with my slipped cd that has the HD driver on it, it completely skips the opening screen and goes strait to partitioning; there is no recovery console choice.
          Last edited by alaskaroad; 17th January 2008, 03:45.

Comment

You may be forced to create a bootable PE cd (BartPE, ReatogoPE, etc.) that has drivers for your HD and then use the tools to run fixmbr and fixboot.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskaroad View Post
              Gosh, I wish it were that simple... It won't allow me to use the recovery console...
              That has really surprised me. I'll remember that though...

m

I should probably be a little more clear... When I boot with the original XP cd, after pressing "r" it says it cannot find a hard drive and cannot continue. When I boot with my slipped cd that has the HD driver on it, it completely skips the opening screen and goes strait to partitioning; there is no recovery console choice.
              I can never remember the key sequence but it is something like pressing SHIFT + F10 during the CD boot process and you can get a Command Prompt.

If the sequence is wrong, I will be corrected.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Biggles - Yes, it's SHIFT F10...

But hold on. You say you totally formatted the HD??? So how come the MBR is still there? Could it be that, like in many laptop models, the vendor creates a hidden partition for some if its tools and in order to store the OS's recovery files? How did you format the HD? Could it be that you missed that hidden partition?
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I've had similar problems with some HP models not finding the Hard Drive to install the operating system, it was simply a matter of changing a setting in the BIOS but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was (!). I'll come back, hopefully with a more useful response.

Comment

What about FDISK /MBR?
                    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Seen this before.. it was due to the fact that the hard disks on the HP laptops were SATA, not IDE, and XP has no inbuilt drivers for that controller. Needed to install additional drivers at the initial stage of XP installation.

Comment

Well, Ive seen this to many times. One thing I would do if I was you would to be Looking for a little program called "Delpart" Remimber NT 4.0 ? Delpart will kill any Nt Partion. And show you the hidden ones too. Make 98 Boot Disc, add delpart to it. Boot off it and then type delpart.
                        And follow the promts. Also, make sure that HP is not useing the new OEM BIOS. And some of theres are locked for Vista Only. And will not let you revert the OS. If thats the case you will have to revert the bios so you can run both OS's. Well theres my .2 cents on this. Enjoy
                        "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without Result" -Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                        X